What's new

Rename network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

patrick sullivan

Regular Contributor
When I hover over the lower right network icon on the desktop of my Win 10 machines, they all have different names. How do I have them all say the same network name? For example, when I am at work, every work station says msroot.kroger

I have tried to rename the adapter, but that does not work. I do have a sophisticated router/utm called Sophos UTM. Should I be posting the question on their site, or is this something that is done on each work station separately?

Thank you Colin. I will do this on every device. I can't believe there isn't a way to do this at the router level. A company like Kroger must have thousands of work stations. Do they really edit the registry on every one of them?

Yes in large Microsoft networks the info on every machine is changed when you join the Microsoft Domain. Then policy maintains changes to every machine.

Thank you Colin. I will do this on every device. I can't believe there isn't a way to do this at the router level.?
It's nothing to do with the router.
A company like Kroger must have thousands of work stations. Do they really edit the registry on every one of them?
No. They probably use a standard disk image that they build all their PC's from. Failing that they can push out registry changes via a group policy.

Kroger will have a Kroger Microsoft domain. Whether they use an image or not when Kroger's domain is joined registry changes are made automatically by Microsoft's networking software based on Kroger's Microsoft domain. As changes need to be made to the Kroger domain the admin guys change all the machines based on policy changes.