What's new

Repeatable crash entering reserved IP addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mightyoakbob

Regular Contributor
With my new replacement router I keep getting a crash when entering reserved ip addresses in the DHCP config. The cause is either copying and pasting the data as opposed to picking mac addresses from the pull down list or, it is the length of the text name in field 3.

The crash is severe and the only recovery I've found is to power up with the button pressed on the back and take the router back to default settings and reconfigure the whole thing again.

The crash takes the form of reducing the management window to a small subset which will not allow navigation elsewhere or to log out. If you shut down your browser and log back in you cannot adjust anything on the DHCP page as you again get the small subset of the window.

This happened time and time again yesterday requiring a start again of the entire router config each time. If I only use the pull down MAC address list and minimal characters in field 3 then you can populate the table, but trust me there is a nasty bug here.

I suppose I should say that all is well until you APPLY the settings in the table and then the editor and the page is broken when you return.

I'm using your latest beta.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven't yet experienced what you have, but I did see some problems with the Parental Control UI as I started entering names in earlier versions of the firmware.

I tend to use descriptive names with punctuation and capitalization when I can. (Linux bugs the heck out of me in that respect! :) Although I got really good in the 90's with DOS 8.3 naming.)

If you haven't tried, how about making sure that each name you enter consists of A-Z, a-z, 0-9, -, _ with no spaces.
Instead of "Bob's Laptop" like I'd type, try "Bobs_Laptop".

I believe I've read here somewhere that this is a known issue / the way it works.

Good Luck!

If you haven't tried, how about making sure that each name you enter consists of A-Z, a-z, 0-9, -, _ with no spaces.
Instead of "Bob's Laptop" like I'd type, try "Bobs_Laptop".

Thanks for you help. There is a slight snag in that underscore appears to be totally blocked and can't be entered.

Bob.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!