What's new

Repeated disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

putergod

New Around Here
Hi, so I am having an issue with my Asus Router(s) with Merlin firmware. I am getting random disconnects. I initially thought it was due to the router getting too hot, but that's not it. Let me give you an order of events:

Asus RT-AC88U
I was getting booted from the internet about 1-2 times per day. Some times it would last a few minutes, and everything would be fine, some times it would last as much as an hour, then everything would be fine. During the disconnect timeframe, the router page was not loading.
I initially thought the router was getting too hot as it was running 80C pretty constantly. I built a solution to keep it cool, about 50C. The disconnects continued.
So, then I figured, "maybe the router is just "burnt up" from running so hot for so long". So I bought an RT-AX88U
Loaded Merlin on it and reconfigured it.
This router has been on the cooling solution since it was taken out of the box. Today it is 5 days old. It was ran between 48-51C the past 5 days.
I am continuing to get disconnected about 1-2 times per day. The only difference is none have lasted more than about 5 minutes, while on the old router it could last an hour or so.
As before, I cannot load the router home page (via IP address) while the internet is down, which points me to the router, and not the modem or my provider.

Thoughts?

Hi, so I am having an issue with my Asus Router(s) with Merlin firmware. I am getting random disconnects. I initially thought it was due to the router getting too hot, but that's not it. Let me give you an order of events:

Asus RT-AC88U
I was getting booted from the internet about 1-2 times per day. Some times it would last a few minutes, and everything would be fine, some times it would last as much as an hour, then everything would be fine. During the disconnect timeframe, the router page was not loading.
I initially thought the router was getting too hot as it was running 80C pretty constantly. I built a solution to keep it cool, about 50C. The disconnects continued.
So, then I figured, "maybe the router is just "burnt up" from running so hot for so long". So I bought an RT-AX88U
Loaded Merlin on it and reconfigured it.
This router has been on the cooling solution since it was taken out of the box. Today it is 5 days old. It was ran between 48-51C the past 5 days.
I am continuing to get disconnected about 1-2 times per day. The only difference is none have lasted more than about 5 minutes, while on the old router it could last an hour or so.
As before, I cannot load the router home page (via IP address) while the internet is down, which points me to the router, and not the modem or my provider.

Thoughts?
I have similar WAN disconnects with my RT-AX88U about every 1 to 5 days. I think it's firmware-related and also depends on the ISP. Have you tried the latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386.42820? In the previous version 42819, Asus claimed to have fixed some WAN connection issues.

I am going to try 42820 next to see if it will fix my problem.

If you really want to take your router out of the equation, replace it temporarily with a non-Asus router. If you still see the same disconnects, then I would say it is a problem on the ISP side.

I have similar WAN disconnects with my RT-AX88U about every 1 to 5 days. I think it's firmware-related and also depends on the ISP. Have you tried the latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386.42820? In the previous version 42819, Asus claimed to have fixed some WAN connection issues.

I am going to try 42820 next to see if it will fix my problem.

If you really want to take your router out of the equation, replace it temporarily with a non-Asus router. If you still see the same disconnects, then I would say it is a problem on the ISP side.
It's definitely not the ISP or WAN.
Reason I say this is because my entire network goes down when this happens. Can't log into the router. Can't talk to the NAS, or any servers, Firestick can't talk to the NAS, etc. EVERY device is completely offline (like the router is shut down). Also, when it happens I can sometimes (if I think about looking) catch the router in it's "boot up light show".

It's also not heat related anymore, as the router routinely stays between 48-52 C.

It's definitely not the ISP or WAN.
Reason I say this is because my entire network goes down when this happens. Can't log into the router. Can't talk to the NAS, or any servers, Firestick can't talk to the NAS, etc. EVERY device is completely offline (like the router is shut down). Also, when it happens I can sometimes (if I think about looking) catch the router in it's "boot up light show".

It's also not heat related anymore, as the router routinely stays between 48-52 C.
I would recommend a systematic troubleshooting:
  1. Factory reset the router
  2. Install the latest stock firmware
  3. Do not restore any previously saved configuration, configure manually!
  4. connect the router to the WAN
  5. connect only one client, preferably via Ethernet
  6. See how this goes
  7. If everything works, keep adding clients one by one
  8. If there are still random drops, try a non-Asus router (to rule out any systematic firmware bugs)
I know this is painful.

I would recommend a systematic troubleshooting:
  1. Factory reset the router
  2. Install the latest stock firmware
  3. Do not restore any previously saved configuration, configure manually!
  4. connect the router to the WAN
  5. connect only one client, preferably via Ethernet
  6. See how this goes
  7. If everything works, keep adding clients one by one
  8. If there are still random drops, try a non-Asus router (to rule out any systematic firmware bugs)
I know this is painful.
I would literally have to wait days to do this, and I can't do that. I work two separate jobs from home, so need a MINIMUM of 3 laptops connected at all times. However, I did read something about the 386 series of firmwares being buggy, so I dropped to the last 384 series to see what happens.

Going to stock isn't an option. If I was going to do that I wouldn't have bought another freaking Asus (bought ONLY for the Merlin firmware). If the problems don't get resolved in a firmware update or something, I will be going back to Netgear.

I would literally have to wait days to do this, and I can't do that. I work two separate jobs from home, so need a MINIMUM of 3 laptops connected at all times. However, I did read something about the 386 series of firmwares being buggy, so I dropped to the last 384 series to see what happens.

Going to stock isn't an option. If I was going to do that I wouldn't have bought another freaking Asus (bought ONLY for the Merlin firmware). If the problems don't get resolved in a firmware update or something, I will be going back to Netgear.
I also bought my AX88 to use Merlin. However since my ISP upgraded me to gig one and a half month ago, I have been trying to troubleshoot my very intermittent WAN disconnects. I am at the point where I put the latest stock firmware on my router and see if these disconnects still happen. Initially, I thought the problem was on the ISP side since my router had been working fine before the gig upgrade. Now, I know the problem lies with the router. Hopefully, the firmware, with some WAN fixes, will not show any drops. I will see in 5 to 7 days.

Btw, my WAN drops happend first with 384.19 and then also with 386.2_4.

My best advice, at least temporarily, is a complete factory reset and trying the latest stock firmware. Since it sounds like you just bought the AX88, you should contact Asus support and (after some generic troubleshooting), Asus will offer to repair/replace the router. There is always a chance that there is a hardware defect.

I had this problem months ago. After many tries I gave up and followed what Kanji-San suggested above. I started from scratch.

It worked, and has now run without problems for 6-8 months. I upgraded to the latest FW a couple of weeks ago without any issues.

I also bought my AX88 to use Merlin. However since my ISP upgraded me to gig one and a half month ago, I have been trying to troubleshoot my very intermittent WAN disconnects. I am at the point where I put the latest stock firmware on my router and see if these disconnects still happen. Initially, I thought the problem was on the ISP side since my router had been working fine before the gig upgrade. Now, I know the problem lies with the router. Hopefully, the firmware, with some WAN fixes, will not show any drops. I will see in 5 to 7 days.

Btw, my WAN drops happend first with 384.19 and then also with 386.2_4.

My best advice, at least temporarily, is a complete factory reset and trying the latest stock firmware. Since it sounds like you just bought the AX88, you should contact Asus support and (after some generic troubleshooting), Asus will offer to repair/replace the router. There is always a chance that there is a hardware defect.
Unfortunately, even with the stock firmware there were WAN drops. The router went back to Asus for warranty repair. Currently running my old RT-AC68U with Merlin 386.2_4.

I'm having similar issue with my 3 Asus AX88U. My 2 backhaul mode Mesh routers are not connecting after a factory reset this just happened recently and one thing I noticed is that when I reset the button on the back, Mesh mode is not on the list on "Advanced Settings" when it reboots. I have to create a new network and then after go into Administrative settings to change it to a mesh router.

Im getting constant red light of death on my main router that I have the 2 Mesh routers connect to. I might go ahead and try them in Access Point (AP) mode to see if this solves any issues.

So my setup is Xfinity XB7 new modem (white). I just had it replaced 2 days ago. I was having same issues with the black Xfi modem. I have the gig speeds. I never allow Xfinity to be my router (DHCP disabled). I don't like the public wifi access and I prefer the mesh routing from ASUS. This issue has been constant since about 1 year ago (certain stock updated firmware for the Mesh fix).

I have tried Stock Firmware, New Firmware, Merlin Firmwares, and same issues keep arising. I know that when the ASUS had the AIMesh issues with the firmware, the main router (mesh router) old version performed flawless with almost no issues. After all these updates, I keep getting disconnected after a few hours or every other day. Note, I tried setting up the OpenDNS. My Xfinity router has Bridge Mode enable so it disables the wifi and router capabilities and makes my ASUS be the DHCP server. This is really frustrating. 3 Separate AX88U routers, I have tried all 3 to be the main router at one point in time and still getting this disconnect BS issue. I've read on other threads about changing the Ping thing and other settings in the DNS, not sure what to do. I'm a tech guy and have used many routers from Cisco, netgear, Asus, Linksys. I have no idea that the heck ASUS thought on creating this problematic router.... And same issues as others on the forumn. Nothing works, nothing. Even if you try resetting the Modem, you still need to reset the Asus router. Sometimes if you don't turn off both router and modem, you still get the red light of death. OMFG!!!! 2 of these modems were initial releases. Then I bought a 3rd about 1 year ago. So its a common issues for all hardware. Note, I have 25 IP cameras hooked up to the NVR and my NVR is hooked up to my ASUS main router mesh. I though at one point, maybe I need static routing or there is interference with the cameras on my network. After having removed the NVR Ethernet cable, same thing keeps happening. Red light of death.

Any ideas guys? This thing is just frustrating. I feel like hooking up a WRT54G and live with limited speeds for the rest of my life. Linksys made the best router ever.

I am trying to unpack your post:
  • problem with AiMesh (wireless or Ethernet backhaul?) connecting
  • WAN (Internet) disconnects for the last one year behind a Xfinity modem (old=black, new=white)
  • tried all three AX88U as (main) router but still experience the WAN disconnects
  • the router needs to be reset to regain Internet (WAN) access
Did I get this right?
Seems to me there are two different issues:
  1. WAN disconnects
  2. AiMesh nodes dropping/not connection
I would suggest for 1. try WAN settings: DHCP query frequency: Normal Mode.
For 2. try Ethernet backhaul if not already.

You mentioned a factory reset. Maybe a nuclear reset would help.
Then try with a simple setup, only modem and one router. If this works start adding the nodes.

I was not able to get my AX88U to stop dropping the WAN connection and finally sent it in to Asus for repair. Hopefully, you have better luck.

I am having the same problems. I am using the 86U. There is even a stranger problem that I have seen where the LED light in front for the WAN connection is showing RED but there is still internet connection. Then after a few hours the internet connection disappears.

Actually I had other problems on this newly purchased Asus routers (XT8, XD4 and now the 86U). AiMesh disconnecting often, DHCP would not assign an IP on some devices that I have to define some of my devices on manual IP, and losing configuration after reboot.

It is just frustrating that I am now considering going back to Google Mesh Wifi .... never had these problems with it before.

I am having the same problems. I am using the 86U. There is even a stranger problem that I have seen where the LED light in front for the WAN connection is showing RED but there is still internet connection. Then after a few hours the internet connection disappears.

Actually I had other problems on this newly purchased Asus routers (XT8, XD4 and now the 86U). AiMesh disconnecting often, DHCP would not assign an IP on some devices that I have to define some of my devices on manual IP, and losing configuration after reboot.

It is just frustrating that I am now considering going back to Google Mesh Wifi .... never had these problems with it before.
Today its weird happening after 2 days. The NVR camera system connected directly to the xfinity router/modem is working. Xfinity Router has 2.4 and 5ghz disabled since im using my asus mesh router. The ASUS mesh router with DHCP disabled (not the 2 nodes) is showing the red light. Im unable to connect via wifi. All devices connected to the Asus router is not working.

I have tried both regular DNS provided by xfinity and setup openDNS on ASUS and still get the red light of death on WAN. I'm unable to Disable DHCP truly on xfinity Xfi gigabit speed router since they have it blocked. I would love to make my Asus router the DHCP but would not even get involved in DHCP yet with private modem until Asus Ax88u disconnect issues are fixed. Note these internet issues happens with either No Nodes or Nodes connected. I truly believe this is a hardware / driver issue because this never happened to me before.

I believe I had separate SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz network in 2018/2019 when the modem was first release (1st month). I bought 2 modems afterwards with the new hardware revision and had made each of those the main AImesh router and switch back and forth and same red light issue.

1. Before with stable Asus firmware non merlin, with 2.4 and 5ghz seprate with different SSID it used to work flawless EXCEPT AImesh since there were issues with the AiMesh disconnecting
  2. After several updates by Asus and merlin, i decided to use the same SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz and attempted the AIMesh. The AiMesh worked!!! but then started the random disconnects (red light of death).

I seriously think I might be going back to Stock firmware original release and just forget about the AiMesh and use the routers as Adhoc backhauled through ethernet. It definitively will suck in a big house where you move to one area and you have to disconnect and reconnect to the best router nearby, but at least my main router will not be disconnecting from the internet and giving me these issues. Imagine your lights or your alarm system stops working that are Wifi controlled. I'm tired of this... And the funny thing is, when this happens, SOME PEOPLE CAN WIFI CONNECT AND SOME PEOPLE SEE THE NETWORK AND WHEN THEY TRY TO CONNECT GET AN ERROR AFTER INSERTING THE PASSWORD!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!! THE ONLY THING THAT FIXES THIS IS A REBOOT/MANUAL POWER RESET TO THE MODEM.

I truly will accept a BASIC (LITE version) of AX88U.

PLEASE MERLIN if you reading this, create a LITE version and REMOVE ALL THE JUNK including AIMESH and all advanced features. MAKE IT have WRT54G settings just with the addition of 5ghz features. SOME UPNP settings, Port forwarding, filtering and THATS IT!!! I will Beta test it as a guinea pig.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!