1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Repeated hack attempts

Discussion in 'Synology' started by BloodyGoodBloke, Jun 20, 2018.

1. BloodyGoodBloke

BloodyGoodBloke New Around Here

In the past few weeks i have been getting emails around attempts to brute force my Admin account.
    Thankfully i had disabled the admin account in favour of a non generic account name.
    I have also setup 2 factor authentication, Strengthen password, setup account protection, enabled ddos protection. Setup a trusted client list. started blocking the IP's (listed below) , configured autoblock.

Anything else i can be doing to ensure the security of my box?

ips blocked so far.
    interestingly enough doign an IP who is most of them have a connection with M247...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. umarmung

umarmung Regular Contributor

Why on Earth would you have a NAS directly interfacing the Internet? Never heard of VPNFilter? :eek:

Use a VPN!

4. BloodyGoodBloke

BloodyGoodBloke New Around Here

Basically negates the point of having a Synology box if you have to vpn in. I use several features that I require to have certain services exposed to the internet

5. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Yes, don't expose services - NAS boxes are very sweet targets for bad actors...

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!