1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Repeater antenna question

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by d0g, Oct 16, 2019.

1. d0g

d0g Occasional Visitor

My base router is an Asus AC87U, and I'm using an AC68U as a repeater. Works pretty well; the AC68U reports "Link rate: 234 Mbps, RSSI: -58 dBm" and we get up to 60 mbps (of our 200mbps) through it.

The AC87U is in the guest house/office, with just 1 ethernet client, and the AC68U is in the main house, with several WiFi clients. They're separated by about 50 feet of outdoor space, and several (thin) walls & windows.

Now, the AC68U is missing one antenna, so I want to buy a replacement.

But while I'm at it – would it help to replace the stock antennae with something like those long-range 9dBi ? Or 6dBi?

And if so, would I want to do that on both routers? Or just the base?

Thanks!

2. Greg72

Greg72 Regular Contributor

Really depends on the channel, channel bandwidth and if you are using either 2.4 or 5ghz.

3. d0g

d0g Occasional Visitor

Currently using 2.4 ... Auto channel and bandwidth

4. Greg72

Greg72 Regular Contributor

That would be why you are only seeing the 60mbps.

5. d0g

d0g Occasional Visitor

I'm OK with 60 (the 68 doesn't seem to work as repeater on 5ghz, at least with merlin f/w) – but I still need to order new antennae.
    So should I get 9dbi or standard? And on which end? I'm guessing the base router.

6. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Go ahead and try the 9dBi, but put them on both ends of the connection. But don't expect miracles.