What's new

Repeater antenna question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d0g

Occasional Visitor
My base router is an Asus AC87U, and I'm using an AC68U as a repeater. Works pretty well; the AC68U reports "Link rate: 234 Mbps, RSSI: -58 dBm" and we get up to 60 mbps (of our 200mbps) through it.

The AC87U is in the guest house/office, with just 1 ethernet client, and the AC68U is in the main house, with several WiFi clients. They're separated by about 50 feet of outdoor space, and several (thin) walls & windows.

Now, the AC68U is missing one antenna, so I want to buy a replacement.

But while I'm at it – would it help to replace the stock antennae with something like those long-range 9dBi ? Or 6dBi?

And if so, would I want to do that on both routers? Or just the base?

Thanks!

Really depends on the channel, channel bandwidth and if you are using either 2.4 or 5ghz.

That would be why you are only seeing the 60mbps.
I'm OK with 60 (the 68 doesn't seem to work as repeater on 5ghz, at least with merlin f/w) – but I still need to order new antennae.
So should I get 9dbi or standard? And on which end? I'm guessing the base router.

I'm OK with 60 (the 68 doesn't seem to work as repeater on 5ghz, at least with merlin f/w) – but I still need to order new antennae.
So should I get 9dbi or standard? And on which end? I'm guessing the base router.
Go ahead and try the 9dBi, but put them on both ends of the connection. But don't expect miracles.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!