What's new

Repeater? Better Antenna? Increase power?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoshFink

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer some help here.

I have an AC66U that is serving wireless to the whole house. I have one room that is right on the fringe of the signal and I can't seem to dial it in and I can't move the device.

I want to increase the power but everything I've read says to stay around 84 and definitely under 100.

Would a repeater be the way to go or would better antennas be the way to go? Any suggestion on antennas?

The room that I'm trying to reach is downstairs, through walls (obviously). It covers the whole house but this one room.

Thanks for the help

Josh

String some CAT6 over to the location... always gives best performance :cool:

Can't change physics... if the RF is lousy, it's going to be always lousy, no matter how much HW one throws at it.

BTW - try moving the AP a bit, perhaps a couple of feet at least, might be surprised...

sfx

Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer some help here.

I want to increase the power but everything I've read says to stay around 84 and definitely under 100.

Josh

you mean tx level? i have been playing with mine lately. i have it set at 80 for each. 84 seems like an odd number lol

I had this exact problem with a room in my basement and my Ac66u, running a ethernet cable was just impractical. I picked up a $50 pair of Zyxel powerline ethernet adapters and I have a rock stable fast internet connection to that room now. I read mixed reviews about these things; however, I live in a newer home with new wiring so I guess this contributes to how much success I've had with the kit.

What you have to remember, is that the signal comes from the center of the antennas. It expands from the center like a donut and gets bigger with distance.
So if you want signal downstairs or upstairs, then you will have to position antennas parallel to the floor.

If the room that is downstairs is not straight down at 90 degree angle, then you will have to position antennas at the correct angle (while they are parallel ), left or right depending on the location of the room or wifi device.

http://www.data-linc.com/instinst/antenna/imagesant/antenn5.gif

http://engweb.info/courses/wdt/lecture06/donut.jpg

Moving the antennas even a 1/4 inch, left, right, up, down, .. can and will make a huge difference.

If you running Latest Merlin FW that is based on 501 or higher, it has built in "Received signal strength indication". Go to System Log > Wireless Log. And every time you hit the Refresh button, you will see dBm levels change and so will TX/RX as you move the antennas.

It will take you a good hour to set things up.

If you still dont get the results that you want, then you can always get a repeater, BUT, you still need to align antennas towards the repeater to get the best signal towards a repeater. Other wise, the repeater will simply repeat what it receives. As my step father always said; "Junk in, junk out".

Last edited:
This is great.. Thank you

If you running Latest Merlin FW that is based on 501 or higher, it has built in "Received signal strength indication". Go to System Log > Wireless Log. And every time you hit the Refresh button, you will see dBm levels change and so will TX/RX as you move the antennas.

It will take you a good hour to set things up.