1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Repeater - low speed

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Volfi, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Volfi

Volfi Regular Contributor

I'm using RT-AC86U as main router and RT-AC88U as a repeater. They are connected via 5GHz link, 80MHz, running at 4 AC streans and around 1600Mbps connection @ -50dBm.

My cable modem gives me 550/55 Mbps connection. However, I am not able to go above (around) 320Mbps real transfer rate when connected to the repeater. Main router can utilise full bandtwith.

How to speed this up?

2. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

try with 160MHz if possible in your neighborhood

3. Volfi

There's no 160Mhz on AC88U and AC86U.

4. Grisu

Sorry still not implemented, similar GT has it.
    You could try repositioning routers and antennas and try other fix channels.

Only option will be hard wired to get full speed.

Volfi likes this.
  5. Volfi

Channels do not matter (tried that).
    -50dBm is a very strong signal between both routers.
    And yes, it seems like a firmware / not finished problem.

Same goes for AiMesh speed, which is just a repeater with settings propagation from main router to mesh one. 320Mbps is a maximum I can get on mesh routers.

6. microchip

microchip Very Senior Member

Repeaters cut bandwidth in half due to constant need to be in contact with the router they're repeating for. Much better would be to use access point but it requires pulling a cable

7. Volfi

Yes, but 1600Mbps (between routers) / 2 = 800Mbps, in theory more than sufficient for cable modem's 550Mbps. But in real life gives just 320.

8. microchip

microchip Very Senior Member

1600 Mbps (as advertised) is theoretical and you'll never reach it. Even in a near perfect environment you'll have a hard time reaching it. I don't know why you get such lower speed. Sorry can't help further :)

9. Volfi

Backbone connection is pretty solid.
    I think it's Asus limitation of some sort :(

Attached Files:

10. FTC

FTC Senior Member

Hi, note that real world transfer speed is usually already half of the wifi bandwith you are connecting to, so if again you are using a router in the middle as a repeater then it would be 1600/2/2 which would be around 400mbps to be expected - assuming the client-repeter speed is also 1600. By the way, how and at what speed are you connecting to the repeater router ? (not the router - repeater connection but the client-repeater one).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    L&LD likes this.
  11. Volfi

Client - router connection is 5GHz AC (2x), giving 866 Mbps to 1Gbit+ connection speeds.
    Good enough for 550Mbps data transfer from main router, but not from a repeater.

12. Grisu

What do you think to get?
    Throughput is about half of connected speed, so as said divided by 2.

You get 320Mb/s at the end, so you will need 600Mb/s link speed with overhead included.
    You only have lets say 1000Mb/s from router to repeater, leaving 400Mb/s or 40% of the time for the connection to the client which is connected even slower with 800Mb/s.
    40% of 800Mb/s are exactly what you get: 320Mb/s

Would be better if it really could use Mu-MiMo, but I dont think it is done in real life.