What's new

Repeater Mode Lan Ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ganja24

Occasional Visitor
I have one Asus 68u repeater mode in the basement connected wirelessly to a bell parent modem/router on main floor. Only wifi is working on Asus router, but also need Lan ports to work because I need to SPA3102 VOIP home phone adapter working which connects through LAN ports only, Will Wifi and LAN ports work if I change from “Repeater Mode” to “Media Bridge”?

Last edited:
I have one Asus 68u repeater mode in the basement connected wirelessly to a bell parent modem/router on main floor. Only wifi is working on Asus router, but also need Lan ports to work because I need to SPA3102 VOIP home phone adapter working which connects through LAN ports only, Will Wifi and LAN ports work if I change from “Repeater Mode” to “Media Bridge”?

I believe an ASUS router in repeater mode supports both wired and wireless clients (same as for an AiMesh node)... but this may require the main router to be an ASUS router(?). I had LAN ports working on an N66U repeater connecting to a 68U router... the repeater had an OBi202 ata wired to it for VoIP. Now I use AiMesh.

And, an ASUS router in media bridge mode supports only wired clients... so that its WiFi can be dedicated to the wireless backhaul for maximum media traffic throughput/performance between the main router and the media bridge.

OE

Last edited:
LAN ports work in Repeater Mode. Media Bridge mode you will lose the repeater function but the LAN ports will work too.

And, an ASUS router in media bridge mode supports only wired clients... so that its WiFi can be dedicated to the wireless backhaul for maximum media traffic throughput/performance between the main router and the media bridge.

OE

Is that also the case for dual band and tri band Asus routers? Not being facetious, I've only used a Netgear extender which utilises one band for backhaul and advertises the other band whilst the ethernet port is still available for client connections.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Is that also the case for dual band and tri band Asus routers? Not being facetious, I've only used a Netgear extender which utilises one band for backhaul and advertises the other band whilst the ethernet port is still available for client connections.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I believe so for dual-band, but I don't know about tri-band. I would guess that media bridge mode reserves all bridge device WiFi for its backhaul... this was probably more critical with older routers with less capable WiFi (slower protocols, less antennas).

OE

I tried connecting VoIP adapter wired but it doesn’t work, Maybe need 2 Asus routers? What are my options here? Which cheap Asus router should I get even if it’s older model then 68u that can act as bridge with LAN ports working and wirelessly connect to current Asus 68u repeater, or is there a recommendation for ATA adapter with built in wifi for Freephoneline VOIP?

I tried connecting VoIP adapter wired but it doesn’t work, Maybe need 2 Asus routers? What are my options here? Which cheap Asus router should I get even if it’s older model then 68u that can act as bridge with LAN ports working and wirelessly connect to current Asus 68u repeater, or is there a recommendation for ATA adapter with built in wifi for Freephoneline VOIP?

Does your ata work when wired to the site router on the main floor? Could you then connect the ata to your house tel wiring (must disconnect the house tel wiring from all other sources/incoming phone line to avoid damaging the ata)? Then connect your phone to a tel jack in the basement?

Have you tried connecting another wired client to the basement repeater to see if it works at the repeater LAN ports? Maybe the ata with embedded router is mis-configured.

OE

I connected Wired to Mac mini and it connects to internet, when connecting to SPA3102 no internet. Possibly it needs settings to be adjusted?

I connected Wired to Mac mini and it connects to internet, when connecting to SPA3102 no internet. Possibly it needs settings to be adjusted?

Are you saying that your repeater LAN ports work?

OE

Yes repeater LAN ports are working, SPA3102 not working when connected through repeater lan port but Mac mini works fine.

Yes repeater LAN ports are working, SPA3102 not working when connected through repeater lan port but Mac mini works fine.

Great!

Now maybe all you need to do is configure the ata for bridge mode and/or disable its embedded router. Maybe that's the conflict.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!