What's new

Replace aging AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

foosion

Occasional Visitor
My AC66U is becoming flakey, disconnecting and then reconnecting every so often, and I'm looking for a replacement.
I'm in an apartment building with a lot of neighbors who have a lot of routers, so I need something that will well work when there's a lot of traffic. Network checker finds about 50 competing networks.
We use a mixture of more or less current iOS, Android and Windows devices. Only a few are active at any one time. We mainly use 5 ghz, but some devices prefer 2.4.
The main activity is internet stuff (browsing, streaming), but some file transfers between machines. No gaming.
Budget is up to approximately $200.
Would the AC86U be a good choice? If not, what would be better?

Last edited:
qualcomm based MU-MIMO would be the best, get a 4 channel variant or 2 2 channel radio APs with MU-MIMO would also be good allowing to use 2 different 5Ghz spectrums.

What particular models do you recommend?

I'd rather go with a single unit than multiple APs.
single unit, just with 3 radios. having 2 5Ghz 4 channel radios is pointless. I suggested 2 2 channnel 5Ghz radios because their spectrum use is smaller, but a single 4 channel radio will also work as well. MU-MIMO is the one that will make a difference and qualcomm's implementation is better.
Pick between tp-link, linksys, asus, these are 3 brands i know that you can rely on.