What's new

Replace DIR-655 with DIR-657?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rastoma

New Around Here
I have a Dlink DIR-655 right now. The DIR-657 - Amplifi HD Media 1000 is on sale today for $19.99 with free shipping at popular online site (didn't read all the rules yet to know if it's OK to mention companies or link to them). A popular 'best deals' website has it listed.

Anyway, is it worth replacing my DIR-655, especially at this price?

I'm not happy with the throughput I'm getting throughout the house. Primarily I get lag when streaming media, either from my NAS or from attached PC's all hard wired. I have a couple of Tivo's that I use Streambaby with and I can stream only low bitrate, standard definition videos. Anything close to 720p in resolution just freezes and pauses.

I just upgraded my Trendnet 8 port gigabit switch with a Zyxel GS1100-16 switch and there's no improvement. All hard wired devices are plugged into this new switch now so I was hoping for better throughput.

We have 2 Xbox360 that are online daily at the same time with no lag (occasionally there will be). I also have VOIP phone service that works well. But I don't know why I have such a hard time streaming from Hulu (don't have Netflix at the moment) and other online services whether it's through the Xbox360, a Roku, PS3 or TV (has built in apps too).

I have Charter cable internet... 30meg package. I just did a new Speedtest.net test and got 26.59 dl and 1.73 ul. The dl is about that always when I do a test. 90% of the time my ul shows 2.3-2.5 on ul so it's a little slow right now but that's not common.

Anyway, I'm thinking for $20 it would be at least a good backup router. But is it worth putting in service over the DIR-655? Any other notable router recommendation in the $50/less category right now?

I don't stream wireless much. Just web surfing on android tables an the kid's Nintendo DS's, so I'm not so concerned with wireless speed and range as much as LAN/WAN speed.

For the ISP speed you have, most any $50 WiFi router should be adequate, excluding odd-balls.

I wouldn't buy a sub-$50 WiFi router nor a $150+ one, for my residential use.

Caveat Emptor

I'd say no. And if you want a newer WiFi router, look too at the average of 67 user reviews on newegg.com, where D-Link's product gets poor reviews.