What's new

Replace Netgear WNDR3700 with Orbi Mesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DSA

New Around Here
Hello, I have been using my N600 Wndr3700 with a cheap N extender and it has been ok so far throughout my 3 level home. But I have to have several networks running, NetA, NetA-5G, NetA-Plus thru the extender, and I have to connect to each individually as the signal permits. My cable modem and router -have- to be in the basement, so I need to cover the upper 2 floors as well.

Going to cut the cable and go with Roku and PSVue. I am thinking I should replace my router/extender with the new Netgear Orbi mesh and have a seamless better quality network.

I read about it here in a review, but before I spend the big $ just wanted some affirmation that it would be a good solution.
Cheers, DSA

No experience with Orbi here, but if it doesn't work out for you, you can still return it :)

Have had the Original Orbi AC 3000 system for over 2 years. Home is a large 4K + sq ft home with Router and Orbi in basement. Another on First Floor. Covers all three floors very well.

I cut Comcast (use their Internet) several months ago with PSVue as my main provider.

All works great and I am very satisfied !

Send a Private Message if ?

You might also take a look at the eero mesh for a 3 level house. One node on each level might work well for you, hard to tell without playing around with it, though. I'm using the eero with a couple of nVidia Shields and a Roku, and Playstation Vue is my internet TV source as well. Along with Netflix and Prime Video. And an over-the-air indoor antenna with a 4-tuner Tablo to stay away from the data cap on my internet.

Anyways, the eero here works well. We have two nodes on the first floor and one on the second. I still have the Orbi that I used to use. Netgear had a bunch of firmware problems for a while and that's when I got the eero. To have something reliable that I didn't have to think about. And the eero has just worked. No firmware problems, unlike the Orbi *smile*.

And, as the other poster mentioned, if you're careful when you buy your eero (or Orbi), you'll have 30 days to return it (or whatever the store's policy is). I got the eero new on eBay and that had a 30-day return policy.

Just the advice I was looking for, thx mates! I have a very similar situation as Jeff. I found the Orbi for about half what they wanted for the eero and bit the bullet, 30 day return, be here tomorrow. But I am thinking it should be way better than the N600 and cheap extender and multiple networks. Will keep you posted.

So far so good! Wireless coverage and speed seem great with the router in the basement and satellite on main floor. Roku devices seem to be getting fine signal and no real buffering issues, so I think it was a good move.
One issue has developed, maybe someone could point me to a better forum....
I have two wired win7 pcs into the main router, and the third ethernet port is my dlink NAS.
One pc can see, write, read just fine to the nas. Another wireless laptop can also access the NAS just fine.
The other can see the NAS in the network, the dlink utility can map it, programs like Quicken will auto-backup to it, but it cannot be seen in file explorer (windows explorer), and the web gui cannot be accessed. (It has an appropriate static ip address within the routers config) But everything fine from the other win7 pc.
I even pulled out the old drive, popped in a new one, did a fresh install of win7 on the troubled unit, and then could access the NAS just fine, so it is not something with the NAS or router.
I am sure it some weird network permission or something, but I have exhausted my brain.
Any help or pointers, even to another forum, would be appreciated. Cheers.

Workaround.....Reinstall Win7 and all programs. Pain, but all working right as rain. Got to clean up a lot of detritus as well.....

Orbi uses a dedicated channel for the backhaul, and although that might seem like marketing, I have found it works well especially as you go further away from the main hub. Of course, nothing beats an Ethernet backhaul which Orbi and some others support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been really happy with my Orbi (main + satellite) for coverage and performance. My house has thick plaster walls and steel beams so a single AP just wasn't working. Even the crowded 2gig network in my neighborhood doesn't seem to phase it (unlike my previous router). The only thing I don't like about the Orbi is that you can't assign VLAN's which I want to do for a guest network.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online