What's new

Replace or keep DS412+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aps

Occasional Visitor
I’m running a Synology DS412+ which is used for storage of media and back-ups. The unit, and drives, seem to be working fine for 24x365 for 9 years but a recent push to sort out digital media – coupled with a desire to start to use the NAS to host various services via Docker images (and potentially use the unit as a Plex server) – has me thinking that it might be the right time to replace the unit with a newer NAS that has the resources for the next 10 years. What is the right move here: (a) do nothing, (b) replace one or more h/d or (c) replace unit? And, if I was to replace the NAS, then what function could the DS412+ serve? (I’m thinking that it might remain connected to the network turned off but then used for occasional back-ups.)

The DS412+ will become the backup of the new NAS, of course! What are you thinking? :)

QNAP TS-x53D is an interesting choice. Particularly the 6-bay unit.

If it meets your performance needs, but simply lacks space, then upgradings the drives is relatively inexpensive and you could get a few more years out of it.

If there are new features or performance you desire, then getting a new one and using this as a backup is definitely a good option as L&LD mentioned.

Personally, I like to keep my old ones around. One serves as an online daily backup of my main unit. A couple are safely stored in their original boxes "just in case". A few parts from one have been salvaged over the years ensuring the continued functions of the others (I need to buy things in pairs of triples for backups and spare parts).

A spare unit also could give you a platform to experiment on without interfering with the stability of the primary.

QNAP TS-x53D is an interesting choice. Particularly the 6-bay unit.

Much appreciated. I’m leaning towards a Synology NAS as I’m invested in DMS as well as the associated OEM and third-party apps. That said, a suitable option isn’t obvious as I’m after a unit that will last another 10 years – with the best option looking to be DS1621+ which has the option for upgrade to 10GB and >4G RAM down the track. The QNAP TS-653D-8G seems like an appealing, and cost effective, hardware option but I guess that I need to look into the OS and software elements. How, in your experience, does QNAP compare in terms of these elements?

In my opinion, it excels. :)

The software elements will come. The hardware I buy once a decade or so.

I haven't used Synology so I can't offer an objective comparison (but there are many on youtube etc). At the time QNAP had a feature or two that I knew I wanted. I bought the QNAP TS-563-2G which I later upgraded to 16GB and then even later, added 10GbE thus spreading the cost over a year or so. Similarly, I originally only purchased 3 x 10TB HDDs and later filled the unit by adding 2 more. Very happy with hardware performance and function.

Certainly with QNAP you need to read the FW release notes and forums *BEFORE* accepting n update as they are going through a very rough patch the last year or so and cranking out many poorly (if at all) tested FW updates. Read the reviews, stick with the stable releases.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!