What's new

Replace R7000 to get higher power on low 5GHZ channels?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ablatt

Regular Contributor
I have been using the R7000 successfully for the last couple of years. It is placed on the middle of 3 floors, and I have been getting decent 5GHz signal throughout the house.

A couple of days ago someone moved in next to me and has a Rogers/Hitron gateway running 5GHz on channel 157, 80 MHz wide.

This overlaps my 40 MHz 5GHz channel, regardless of which higher channel (149 currently) I use. I noticed none of the lower UNII-1 channels are being used.

Since the R7000 was released before the 2014 FCC allowance of higher power on low 5GHz channels, I have been considering buying a new router. I have looked at AC2600 (like X4S) and AC5300 models.

If someone could help, I have a few questions:

1. Can you run 80MHz wide channels in the lower UNII-1 range?
2. With the higher power now available, will I get the same range on lower channels as higher?
3. Should I go AC2600 or AC5300? Money is not an issue. Don't think I need two 5GHz radios.

I have been using the R7000 successfully for the last couple of years. It is placed on the middle of 3 floors, and I have been getting decent 5GHz signal throughout the house.

A couple of days ago someone moved in next to me and has a Rogers/Hitron gateway running 5GHz on channel 157, 80 MHz wide.

This overlaps my 40 MHz 5GHz channel, regardless of which higher channel (149 currently) I use. I noticed none of the lower UNII-1 channels are being used.

Since the R7000 was released before the 2014 FCC allowance of higher power on low 5GHz channels, I have been considering buying a new router. I have looked at AC2600 (like X4S) and AC5300 models.

If someone could help, I have a few questions:

2. With the higher power now available, will I get the same range on lower channels as higher?
3. Should I go AC2600 or AC5300? Money is not an issue. Don't think I need two 5GHz radios.

I have forwarded this to Netgear Guy to get an answer for you particularly question 1. You may want to also repost in the Netgear section. But my 2 cents is this.

Lower power 5ghz channels get slightly better range but its negligible in my experience. Cant speak to the higher power on them. Again I asked Netgear Guy for you.

Going with the AC3200 or AC5300 routers will give you dual band 5ghz. That may be beneficial to you in that using the Smart Connect it will dynamically place you in the best 5ghz channel. Or you can turn the Smart Connect off and have a high channel 5ghz and a low channel 5ghz. Then use whichever works best. Personally I like the flexibility of the dual 5ghz bands. I have been using an AC5300 Netgear R8500 for quite a while. While I dont get the interference issue you describe it covers my 3000sq ft home very well. I do an AP at the far end of my house for added 5ghz coverage outside but in reality it isnt really needed. I had it and the cat 5 there so why not.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

I have forwarded this to Netgear Guy to get an answer for you particularly question 1. You may want to also repost in the Netgear section. But my 2 cents is this.

Lower power 5ghz channels get slightly better range but its negligible in my experience. Cant speak to the higher power on them. Again I asked Netgear Guy for you.

Going with the AC3200 or AC5300 routers will give you dual band 5ghz. That may be beneficial to you in that using the Smart Connect it will dynamically place you in the best 5ghz channel. Or you can turn the Smart Connect off and have a high channel 5ghz and a low channel 5ghz. Then use whichever works best. Personally I like the flexibility of the dual 5ghz bands. I have been using an AC5300 Netgear R8500 for quite a while. While I dont get the interference issue you describe it covers my 3000sq ft home very well. I do an AP at the far end of my house for added 5ghz coverage outside but in reality it isnt really needed. I had it and the cat 5 there so why not.

Bob Silver

Thanks Bob. I am trying out an R7800 right now (AC2600). It doesn't improve my signal or range over the R7000, however it does allow full use of the lower channels at the same power and range as the higher ones.

Thanks Bob. I am trying out an R7800 right now (AC2600). It doesn't improve my signal or range over the R7000, however it does allow full use of the lower channels at the same power and range as the higher ones.

Higher power or not, for me using higher channels gives little better signal at my home. Maybe antenna is tuned towards higher channel? I used to have R7000 some time ago, now R7800 or RT-AC3100. One on the air, the other one is back up. Again RT-AC3100 gives few dbm better signal compared to R7800.

Thanks for your feedback TonyH. I may give the RT-AC3100 a try as well. I haven't used Asus for WIFI in a little while because I found their 2.4GHz auto channel on the 68U never changed channels - it just sat on channel 6. Perhaps that was just my unique setup. Now it doesn't matter that much, because i mostly use 5GHz.

From Netgear Guy answering your questions. Hope it makes sense to you.

For 80MHz Channel:

· U-NII-1 Ch 42 is the Centre

· U-NII-2A Ch 58 is the Centre

For 160MHz Channel:

· U-NII-1 & 2A Combined – Ch 50 is the Centre

FCC Changed rules recently. Attached detailed WW Regulatory requirements.

FCC New Rule:

• U-NII-1: 1000mW/30dBm

• U-NII-2A: 250mW/24dBm

• U-NII-2C: 250mW/24dBm

• U-NII-3: 1000mw/30dBm

UNII-1 is for indoor use only to prevent interference with mobile satellites

UNII-2 and UNII-2 extended (for indoor or outdoor use) must use Dynamic Frequency Selection to prevent interference with military or weather radars

So power limits may differ between lower and higher channels and therefore affect range, ie., higher channels (UNII-2 and UNII-3) should be used for outdoor point-to-point.

For FCC U-NII-1 Tx Power is same as U-NII-3 Band

Hope that makes sense…

Bob Silver