What's new

Replace RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alpha sloth

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,
Looking for advice. My Asus RT-AC68U can no longer handle the peak traffic on my wireless network. Looking for suggestions on upgrade options. Thanks!

- 20+ clients mixed between 2.4/5ghz but majority on 5
- USB Hard Drive attached to USB3 port to supply media to my home Plex Server.
- Cord Cutter streaming Hulu/Plex/Netflix/DTVnow etc to 3 tv's (1-1080p 2-720p)
- Some online gaming
- Heavy traffic on home office PC all day.
- Do not run VPN on router just a VPN client app on 1 PC.
- 20/4 cable internet but upgrading to 150/20 cable internet
- During peak usage AC68U processors are running @ 100% / 90+% ; 225+ Ram (256total)
- ~2000 sq ft home. Home office is furthest from router has very good connection (526.5Mbps on 5ghz). On testmy.net I can get 19+/3.5 thus nearly maxing out my current connection speed. (While no other traffic on network).
- Sometimes during heavy usage, router will loose connection to internet until reset. (Verified modem still working via direct connection to it.)
- Only "special feature" of router I'm using is the file server.
- Current stable firmware.
- Wife and 2 teens that are constantly playing videos on phones while "watching" tv.

Looking for something with at least as good long range/spd 5ghz or better. Processor/Ram capable of handling load. Good file server speeds with hard drive connected to it via USB 3. Can handle 20+ clients. Will handle the extra traffic I may generate when my ISP finally upgrades my service. Plus I may upgrade on of the tv's to 4k HDR in near future thus using more bandwidth.

I see the AC86U and R7800 suggested the most. Prior to this forum I was considering the Asus ROG GT-AC5300, Synology RT2600ac, and the AC88U as well as the R7800. I'm not dead set on any of them. Each seems to have Pros and Cons for my scenario. I will consider other suggestions.

I will be purchasing from Amazon (US) and will consider refurbs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!!!

The 88U has the same gen CPU as the 68U just clocked higher. Also runs kinda hot probably for that reason.

The R7800/RT2600AC and GT5300 are much better than the 88U both in terms of CPU and WiFi chipset. You probably don’t need the GT5300 as the other two can easily handle your load, range wise the R7800 is probably the best IMHO for 5Ghz. VPN performance wise the 86U and GT5300 are better. Take a look at the 86U as well it also seems to be well liked and ranked.

Personally I wouldn't consider the GT-AC5300, it appears to be a bit of an oddball. There have been some concerns in the past with the level of support from Asus, and the fact that Merlin's 3rd-party firmware is not supported narrows your options.

The RT-AC86U would be my choice from the Asus products. I can't comment on the non-Asus ones.

Then go with that I don’t think you will be dissatisfied. Plus that has RMerlin firmware support.

If I had not decided to give the Qualcomm platform of the R7800 a chance, the RT-AC86U would have been my choice given the specs and support from Merlin.

BTW - the basics (firewall, routing, wireless) of the R7800 work very well. Can't comment on the bells & whistles since I do not use them.

I appreciate the input. From the replies it should come down to the R7800 or the AC86u.

Amazon is out of stock for the AC86u (I want one with at least "Fullfilled by Amazon".)

I'm really still leaning towards it due to really liking the Asus UI.

- I now see an open-box from Amazon. May pull trigger on it.