What's new

Replacement Antennas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But with patience and knowledge of what not to do, PowerLine can work.
I agree.

I installed top of the line Netgear powerline and <sometimes> they work really well. The give the rated throughput.

The problem is that you need "clean", masked, electrical wiring in your home. If not anything can offset your network's performance: a toaster, air conditioning motor, microwave, kettle, hairdrier... anything absorbing power in the building can influence the throughput. One day you watch a movie perfectly the next day you have hicups and interruptions.

Vudu films keep cutting out if we watch on WiFi but are perfect when we plug an ethernet into the modem.

My wife had me remove the Cat6 cable which I laid from the router to the AP and powerline did not work because my electric cabling system is not masked and is completely shared amongst all home plugs (the building is pre 1970s).

What are you running the VuDu player on?

PS3 is 802.11b/g only

xBox360 - 802.11b/g only for the original MS supplied adapter - the Slim has 802.11n

Roku - depends on the HW, check docs and Roku support - many models here, most of them are 2.4Ghz, but the newer ones have a/b/g/n support

In any event, you might want to consider...

HomePlug AV2 - it's secure point to point connnections - 128-bit AES encryption is more than enough.

good review here -- http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32164-homeplug-av2-head-to-head

Or a dedicated Eithernet-WiFi bridge - Buffalo has some very good ones - bit tough to set up, but very stable once sorted - Buffalo calls them "client adapters" vs. media bridges, but same functionality...

This is the one I have - very happy with it.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products...300-4-port-dual-band-wireless-ethernet-bridge

And lastly... if you're getting dropouts in VuDu - try reducing the resolution - HD takes a consistent 2.24Mbit stream - try running it at SD resolution...

HD video streaming over WiFi can be tough, and throwing more WiFi hardware at the problem is often not the answer...

Sorry, your links do not work. (They appear to be identical, too).

Just was curious if the antenna were really different.

Thanks for the advice but I cannot add cables and the building is too old for powerline as the electric wiring is not masked.

No cables.
No Powerline.

After 6 months on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that I have no other solution but seek greater gain for my antennnas.

A few months ago I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but they are crap: zero gain (inSSIDer).

Yesterday I bought new ones (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I hope that these will work better.

Do you have any advice/experience with extra gain?

Thanks for helping!

What are you running the VuDu player on?
Oppo BDP 103 connected with a CAT6 to my Asus AC66U

HomePlug AV2
As I said, my home is old and Powerlines don't work regularly. As soon as someone in the building (or home) uses some appliance the streaming starts having problems. I tested this myself. If we switch on microwave or hair dryer in other rooms we have problems.

Or a dedicated Eithernet-WiFi bridge
Again, as I already said, I cannot lay cables.

And lastly... if you're getting dropouts in VuDu - try reducing the resolution - HD takes a consistent 2.24Mbit stream - try running it at SD resolution...
I have tried this and it works but the whole reason why I'm posting here is because I want to stream in full HD and not in HD.

Sorry, your links do not work. (They appear to be identical, too)
I don't know why but my links get truncared so I can't post them.
Please copy/paste these links without spaces. I tried and it works.

About 6 months ago I bought these:
ht
tp:/
/ww
w.am
azon.co
m/gp/pr
oduct/B00938LKRC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but these don't give any gain.

And then, a few days ago, I bought these:
ht
tp:/
/ww
w.am
azon.c
om/g
p/product/B00DMJI9TA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but I still have not received them.

Any other advice for "real" extra gain?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!