What's new

Replacement for Asus N66?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hokiez97

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my N66 now that most of our devices support AC. Have had no complaints with the N66 over the years on Merlin firmware, so that leads me to consider Asus again, but definitely open to other options.

Needs/uses are fairly simple:
* I have a Synology NAS hard-wired, everything else is wireless. Typically about 20 wireless clients in the house (typical mix of laptops, mobile, a few smart home devices)
* 1800 sq ft house, router will be at one end where my office is
* Short to mid-range throughput is most important. Currently even my N66 reaches to the backyard so I would imagine most AC routers will be as good or better?
* Like the idea of band steering so I can use one SSID
* Would like to be able to limit guest network to only 2.4 (N66 can do this)
* My new laptop does supposedly support MIMO but not sure how much of a factor that is in selecting a new router.

Hoping to spend around $150-175. I've got a 15% off coupon at Best Buy but not locked into buying there if there's an option on Amazon or something that BB doesn't carry.

I have read the router recommendations here on SNB as well as a bunch of other sites and frankly everytime I think I have my mind made up, a new review/site makes me reconsider.

That said, top choices at the moment would be the Asus RT-AC1900P which I could get for around $153 with my coupon, or the Netgear R7000P - around $135 with BB coupon.

Step-up considerations would be Netgear R7800P or Asus AC86U, but neither are available at BB.

Leaning towards the AC1900P, but not sure if it does band steering?

Thanks all in advance.