What's new

Replacement for dying R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

risk

New Around Here
Hi all,

Sorry to be a bother, I know these kind of questions get asked all the time.
Just really need get some advice.

I've been running a Netgear R7000 since 2013, eventually changing the firmware to AdvancedTomato.
It's been running great, until the last few months. Requiring weekly reboots, dropped connections.. finally the 5G signal dying completely.
It's done me well. 8 years is a good life, I think.

2 weeks ago I popped over the the local BestBuy to see what's out.
Saw what was available and did some research on Reddit, SNB and other sites (DongKnows)
Ended up settling on the TP-Link Archer AX20.
Seems to work alright, connections are solid.
But things just seem to take a few extra seconds to load. Not as instant as it was with the R7000.

My place is around 1500 sqft, 3 levels. Reception wasn't an issue, since the pings and speed tests were good.
Just found things like Netflix, D+, etc.. would take extra time to load.
My Nintendo Switch wouldn't load anything online, that was one big issue.

Fast-forward to today. Decided to just try something.
Popped back to BestBuy and picked up the Asus RT-AX58U
Set it up and suddenly my issues are gone.
Instant loading, Switch connects great, speeds are still solid.
Tossed Merlin on it and still solid.

Now, I guess my question is this an issue due to it being TP-Link? AX1800 vs AX3000?
Is this the best router for my buck? (It's on sale for $179 CND).. I did see the RT-AX82U for $229.
But I also came across a clearanced R7000 for $100 at Walmart. Could try that again with either Merlin or FreshTomato.

I dunno.. just banging my head against the wall right now.

If I wasn't renting I would totally go AP (Omada or Ruckus).

Welcome to the forums @risk.

That might not be the best price, but it is a very good price for the RT-AX58U today.

Installing RMerlin on a clearance R7000 is an illegal use of Asus' proprietary technology and any issues you have won't be supported here.

The RT-AX58U is a good router, it works in your environment and is supported by RMerlin too. :)

Thanks for the insight @L&LD

I was kind of hoping for a $100 fix (Archer AX20) to my problem, but I do know you get what you pay for.

So far, since posting, everything has been running smoothly. Going to run a few more comparison tests during the week, but I’m pretty certain the Asus will be staying. Unless I upgrade it to the AX82U.

Unless I upgrade it to the AX82U.

What upgrade? RT-AX58U and RT-AX82U are the same router in different clothes. Both share the same hardware and the same FCC ID MSQ-RTAXJ300. You'll be paying more for gaming marketing and RGB lights. RT-AX58U with Asuswrt-Merlin support is the better value router. Do your research.

What upgrade? RT-AX58U and RT-AX82U are the same router in different clothes. Both share the same hardware and the same FCC ID MSQ-RTAXJ300. You'll be paying more for gaming marketing and RGB lights. RT-AX58U with Asuswrt-Merlin support is the better value router. Do your research.

I haven’t got around to looking up this information yet, so thank you!
Very good to know.

I will just stick to what I have now

Tech9 - interesting that the FCC IDs are the same. On the product pages Asus claims 2x 5GHz throughput on the 82u vs the 58u - thoughts?

And if the hardware is the same, is it possible that a merlin build for 58u will just work on 82u?

On the product pages Asus claims 2x 5GHz throughput on the 82u vs the 58u - thoughts?

Yes, different firmware with "special" features - AX58U is crippled to 2x4:4 5GHz Wi-Fi, AX82U uses full SoC 4x4:4 capabilities. Four Asus router models share the same FCC ID - RT-AX58U, RT-AX3000, RT-AX82U and TUF-AX3000. Common AX 2-stream clients will work exactly the same with all. What you read in specs is the usual numbers game.

And if the hardware is the same, is it possible that a merlin build for 58u will just work on 82u?

No, firmware does hardware ID verification. It won't allow you AX82U firmware on AX58U router. There is no Asuswrt-Merlin for AX82U at the moment, but there is @GNUton Asuswrt-Merlin fork with support for DSL-AX82U. I don't know the politics behind it. There is another Asuswrt-Merlin fork with AX82U support, but I don't know how legal it is.

Yes, different firmware with "special" features - AX58U is crippled to 2x4:4 5GHz Wi-Fi, AX82U uses full SoC 4x4:4 capabilities. Four Asus router models share the same FCC ID - RT-AX58U, RT-AX3000, RT-AX82U and TUF-AX3000. Common AX 2-stream clients will work exactly the same with all. What you read in specs is the usual numbers game.

No, firmware does hardware ID verification. It won't allow you AX82U firmware on AX58U router. There is no Asuswrt-Merlin for AX82U at the moment, but there is @GNUton Asuswrt-Merlin fork with support for DSL-AX82U. I don't know the politics behind it. There is another Asuswrt-Merlin fork with AX82U support, but I don't know how legal it is.
Thanks for the replies. I used to run DD-WRT on old linksys hardware, then I migrated to Google wifi for a while - so I'm re-learning what's out there. I'm at the point of buying, and I'd like to stick with mainline merlin, so I found a good deal on a used / like new 88u. Should be fun.

Did you see this review of < $100 AX routers?

RvR comparison of AX20, and ASUS AX56U and AX58U

Use the selector above the plot to select other plots.

Also can't remember if AX20 allows it, but try disabling AX features if you can.

@Tech9 most probably i will be supporting Merlin fw for RT-AX82U router too along with DSL models ones. As for my builds, i do only support routers that are not going to be supported by the official builds. I am in sync with @RMerlin and I do get direct support from Asus devs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!