What's new

Replacement for N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

artob

New Around Here
My N66U is now 10 years old. Getting worried that it will die at any moment. I would like to replace it with something reasonable.

My main requirements:
  • Must be supported by Merlin
  • Must have at least same range as the N66. The N66 is nicely supporting 3 people working from home (2 via WiFi) plus all of the other devices (phones/tablets) without any issues.
  • Nothing too old - I don't want it to be obsolete/unsupported too soon.
  • Not too expensive (hoping to stay below 250CAD (before tax))
  • Not too large/bulky
  • We have no wireless gaming going on.
Best Buy has the AX88u on sale for $250 right now, but that model is already 4 years old...

Any guidance/suggestions would be much appreciated.

AX88U is large, but for the specs you can't get anything better for CAD250. It is 4-years old, but the first 388 firmware arrived to AX88U. Looking at Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 thread - AX88U has less issues reported than newer AX86U. I would say it's the best choice for CAD250, go for it.

Based on your requirements except Asus and Merlin - any router today will be better than N66U starting from $100.

My N66U is now 10 years old. Getting worried that it will die at any moment. I would like to replace it with something reasonable.

My main requirements:
  • Must be supported by Merlin
  • Must have at least same range as the N66. The N66 is nicely supporting 3 people working from home (2 via WiFi) plus all of the other devices (phones/tablets) without any issues.
  • Nothing too old - I don't want it to be obsolete/unsupported too soon.
  • Not too expensive (hoping to stay below 250CAD (before tax))
  • Not too large/bulky
  • We have no wireless gaming going on.
Best Buy has the AX88u on sale for $250 right now, but that model is already 4 years old...

Any guidance/suggestions would be much appreciated.
If you are okay with buying used check Kijiji, I am seeing AX-86U coming for sale around 250 CAD, same with amazon, currently there is a warehouse deal for AX86U Zaku II Edition (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09V6PDRY5/?tag=smallncom-20 ) at 269. Its more powerful device than ax88u.

I replaced my dark knight with the AX-86U, and am very happy with it. I think it's the natural upgrade.

AX88 will be with us for some time yet...kind of like the N66, AC68, AC86...
Comparison shop between BestBuy and the other blue and yellow chain, Canada Computers.
If you can wait a week or so, the Boxing Day sales will be on/in play with whatever stock is left after Christmas.

I suggest also considering the AX68U. I set one up at my brother-in-law's house, and it has excellent range. He's out in the country, and an outdoor wifi camera located >40 m away from the router, which is located inside a brick house, has good signal strength. It has way more processing power than an N66U. For your description of your needs, it would be plenty good, and it very likely to be the next N66U/AC68U, i.e., it will be supported for a very long time.

I suggest also considering the AX68U

RT-AX68U is not available in Canada anymore. Some leftovers here and there or open box units on ridiculous price. It was the only Asus router using BCM6710 for 5GHz band and something didn't go well with this model. Not sure if it will be supported for a long time or it was quietly discontinued.

RT-AX68U is not available in Canada anymore. Some leftovers here and there or open box units on ridiculous price. It was the only Asus router using BCM6710 for 5GHz band and something didn't go well with this model. Not sure if it will be supported for a long time or it was quietly discontinued.

ok, so much for that suggestion.

On a side note, I wonder if it will be discontinued in the US as well. Would seem odd for ASUS to abandon that performance/price category. I'd guess that will be a hardware rev if there really is an issue with that radio.

Would seem odd for ASUS to abandon that performance/price category.
That market segment is actually overloaded with different SKUs that are overlapping.

RT-AX53U
RT-AX55U
RT-AX56U
RT-AX58U
RT-AX3000
TUF-AX3000
RT-AX68U
RT-AX82U

Half of these models have no reason to exist IMHO.

I never suggested AX58U/AX3000 because of the fact it comes in V2 version and it doesn't fit the OP requirements for Asuswrt-Merlin support. AX56U fits the requirements and will be still N66U upgrade, but the current price of CAD200 doesn't make sense for an entry-level router.

AX56U fits the requirements and will be still N66U upgrade, but the current price of CAD200 doesn't make sense for an entry-level router.
Yeah, these (AX55/56/58) are frequently discounted below $200, best to wait for such a discount.

Keep in mind tho that he'd be replacing the former flagship (which was $199 CAD at launch) with a lower mid-range product. If he wanted to stay in a similar performance tier, I'd say the RT-AX86S might be a closer fit, although a good bit more bulky.

I stop by CC from time to time and all AX58Us are V2 now. Last time AX56U wasn't available, open box unit for CAD180. I would also look for AX86S, but on CAD200 or lower price. I've got one for CAD180 few months back. Current price CAD320 is way too high. If the router is needed fast I believe AX88U at CAD250 currently is the best hardware for the money. I would still wait for AX86S though because of the vertical design. AX88U is huge.

That market segment is actually overloaded with different SKUs that are overlapping.

RT-AX53U
RT-AX55U
RT-AX56U
RT-AX58U
RT-AX3000
TUF-AX3000
RT-AX68U
RT-AX82U

Half of these models have no reason to exist IMHO.

I totally agree with that. I have no idea why ASUS did this. It must badly confuse the average consumer.

I don't see new RT-AX56Us available anywhere in Canada. Not available on Amazon USA as well. Similar to AX68U situation perhaps.

Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated. Will keep my eyes open for a nice boxing day sale.

FWIW, I see that BestBuy has a sale on the AX68U... Amazon has price matched it as well. $215 USD.

BB.ca says $280 CAD, I assume. They also seem to have the AX86S for $180 (CAD).

I can't recommend current AX86-series anymore given the firmware issues they have recently. I have one AX86U and not happy with anything 388 base I've seen so far. Got an AX86S for a friend of mine and it's staying on Asuswrt 386_49599 until better 388 base firmware shows on the horizon.

So... $180 for the AX-86S or the AX-86U for an extra $115 (100 + tax). Given my usage, does anyone think it is worth me paying the extra amount for the 86U? Also, are the firmware issues mentioned by @Tech9 something I need to worry about - again, given my usage.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!