What's new

Replacement for the Cisco WAP321 Wireless Units

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I just noticed my Cisco WAP321 wireless units have reached end of sale. Looks like Cisco says the replacement is a WAP150. I can't find any testing on any of the Cisco Wireless units. Has anybody used the WAP150 units. What would be a good replacement which has cluster software? I run 3 units in 5 GHz mode.

So is no one running multi AP setup on 5GHz which they like and easy to setup? I like the Cisco WAP321 APs because you set one up and join the rest and you are done. The problem is now the Cisco WAP321 have reached end of sale this month of April. They have a few years of support but it will be limited.

The other aspect is I don't know if the new LTE-U is going to play a factor and require new wireless units so shouldI wait?

I only run 5GHz because the park behind my house floods 2.4 GHz in my house. Of course the park channels are very slow so I don't want to use them.

I guess I should add they need to support multiple VLANs since I have converted all my house networks to VLANs. At least 2 VLANs.

Last edited:
I had WAP371's and the clustering worked pretty well. I sold them on eBay and went with the Ubiquiti UniFi AP-Pro's. I've since sold those on eBay and got a great deal on beta units of the AP-HD's.

I was looking for info on the WAP150 and I found this. I think it looks cool. Not sure how it translates into real world use.

It will be awhile before APs are available that can detect LTE-U. Ubiquiti UAP-AC APs are frequently mentioned here as an inexpensive option with decent management capability. They do require you run a server for management or you can buy the management server in a $80 module that just plugs into your network switch.

You can also use the Ubiquiti Android app. Also, the "server" does not always have to be running. You can simply install it on your pc if need be and only launch it if you want to adopt/upgrade/change any settings on the AP's.

Forgot the rest of my post here, lol. We have been testing wireless at work in a lab for the possibility of going completely wireless rather than upgrade all the network cabling. I have to say, so far the TPLink EAP245 is king of the hill if price plays in to the decision at all. At $90 a pop currently on Amazon it's hard to beat. Which has us all surprised since it seems to be next to impossible to find any kind of real reviews on it.

Last edited: