What's new

Replacement Wifi Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ToddH

New Around Here
Hi everyone! My first post here. I'm looking to replace my Linksys WRT1200AC. The thing has been trouble for me for almost a year and I'm tired of fighting with it. Short story is the 2.4ghz performance is beyond horrible.
Here is my basic setup in terms of devices
A wired NAS, Blu-Ray and Wii
25 wireless devices (tablets, phones, laptops, etc) Not uncommon to have 8-10 simultaneously in use at a time.
Only about 8 of the devices are 5ghz capable. I need something that's going to cover ~2500 sq feet over 3 floors. (I realize the 5ghz may not have full coverage but if the 2.4 is good then that's ok) Lastly it needs to have a VPN server. I also have 2 other external drives (USB 3 and eSata/USB2)

I'm considering the Netgear Nighthawk series
Either the R7000, R7800 or R8000.

Does anyone have real world comparisons with these or recommendations or advice?

I would first suggest to consider moving to a NAS (even a basic one) instead of using USB drives off the router. Many times the reliability and a significant performance over USB attached storage.

With the current firmware environment (officially effective June 2, 2016), I would be considering Asus routers (exclusively).

The RT-AC68U is still considered a great choice, but the RT-AC5300 may be more suitable for the environment you are describing.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/linksys-ea9500-vs-asus-rt-ac5300-tests-enclosed.32949/#post-264078

Couple of tips with the WRT AC series...

2.4GHz - set them to B/G/N Mixed and use 20Mhz channels...

This works very well with the factory firmware - but there's more... Consider DD-WRT, specifically Kong's private builds - makes a huge difference on this device.

The issues with the WRT are a result of Linksys factory firmware - see below - just know that DD-WRT fixes most of those issues

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/goodbye-wrt1900ac-comments-below.31436/

Couple of tips with the WRT AC series...

2.4GHz - set them to B/G/N Mixed and use 20Mhz channels...

This works very well with the factory firmware - but there's more... Consider DD-WRT, specifically Kong's private builds - makes a huge difference on this device.

The issues with the WRT are a result of Linksys factory firmware - see below - just know that DD-WRT fixes most of those issues

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/goodbye-wrt1900ac-comments-below.31436/
I'm running B/G/N mixed and 20 and have been for a while. I also unplugged the USB devices last week. (My true NAS is still attached via ethernet) Often the 2.4ghz down slows to less than 1mbps (regardless of range). I'll give Kong's a try and see if that makes things any better.

I guess what I'm trying to say - it's really good hardware, better than most...

It's the software that is challenging...

I'm starting to think I have a bad unit. After switching to Kong I still get horrid 2.4ghz speeds. I tried a bunch of different channels with similar results. I'll look into the Asus ones as well.

I'm starting to think I have a bad unit. After switching to Kong I still get horrid 2.4ghz speeds. I tried a bunch of different channels with similar results. I'll look into the Asus ones as well.
2.4ghz sucks altogether. If there are tons of routers around your area the signal becomes really flaky, 2.4 has a long range but at the same time when its in weak signal state you barely get any activity.
Also its not full duplex and cannot handle to many clients at the same time therefore in my opinion only good for smart phone at a close range for browsing only.
5ghz is really the best even in weak signals. And with Mimo in action you can have a few routers of the same make in mimo mode and they handle many 5ghz clients at the same time flawlessly.
That being said, if you want to put up a VPN server you need something with a little power and in my opinion better then a 68U especially with the devices you have and range you need covered.
I would suggest the 87U or higher with Merlin firmware. You can easily do a VPN server, wi fi range is great, and its an all in one package that works very well. Nothing like Asus routers for the price and the features they give you in an all in one box :)
Asus routers can still handle all your 2.4ghz devices but you need to understand that over 8 devices at the same time even with a great QOS 2.4ghz just can't cut it on any router because its not full duplex and can only handle one device at a time. With test i have done if you have a few devices on 2.4ghz and they are just browsing there is no problem. But if anyone thinks that they can have more then 1 device uploading and another devices downloading, there is no way any other device will have a chance. Even with amazing bandwidth and a QOS in place. its old technology and in my opinion should be dusted under the carpet because its limited and mostly every device out there is now 5ghz. I think its time people start putting 2.4 to rest or leave it for your guests and smart phones :)
One final note. There is USB 2 and USB 3 on these ASUS routers and you can load them up with Hard Drives or printers or usb keys. With the dual core CPU, these routers can handle a lot of traffic and features at the same time.
The AC5300 would be your best choice by far. At least with this router and its tri band antennas you can probably get away with at least 10 devices on 2.4 or maybe more. It's probably the best bet if you have that many 2.4ghz devices.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/

Last edited:
I would take 1 device on 2.4ghz from 10 feet away working fine. I can't even get that at the moment. :)

Does anyone have real world comparisons with these or recommendations or advice? :)
You probably have a defective router, this is why I also suggested which router would suite your needs, and gave you its limitations as well. At the end of the day wasn't that part of you question?
Good luck :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!