What's new

Replacing a D-Link DIR-655

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shocked

New Around Here
I'm about ready to give up on this 655. Started having trouble with it about a month ago. Wireless works very rarely and very randomly, and some of my non-PC devices (i.e. PS3) have trouble connecting to it (DNS errors). Tried a lot of things, including updating the firmware.

Though they're not usually on at the same time, I have a lot of devices - several desktop computers, a couple laptops, PS3/360/Tivo/AVR. The only things that aren't wired via ethernet are my laptops and cell phone (plus tablet if I ever get one). Still a few older devices that predate 802.11n.

Router is upstairs with my cable modem (~57 Mbps connection). I have an ethernet line running downstairs from the router that connects to an older 8-port gigabit D-Link switch that links up everything in my home theater.

Gaming (wired, never wireless) is probably most important to me, but I live alone so I'm not sure how much I would benefit from traffic prioritizing since I'm not going to be downloading or watching Netflix/Hulu etc. while gaming. Also not sure I want to spend $180 on a DGL-5500 (though I haven't really decided on a budget). Plus, open to trying something other than D-Link for a change - this is already my second DIR-655 in the last few years (first one died completely).

Could probably use above average wireless range, because the DIR-655 was only barely sufficient (even after buying one of those big D-Link antennas for range extension). Not sure I really care about wireless throughput, since I have the ability to wire anything I need to. I don't typically ever stream any large files/videos/etc.