What's new

Replacing AC5300 -- AX6000 or AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pegasus9

Regular Contributor
My AC5300 is dying and I need to replace it -- not the best timing but I can get it to hang on long enough to put somehting new on line.

I am considering the ASUS AX6000 and AX11000. The price difference is negligible.

I am not a gamer but like the power a gaming router gives me. 100+ Smart Home devices with lots of streaming and such as well.

I like the AX6000 because of the extra LAN jacks, but I have heard the stories about their reliability.

I like the AC11000 because the faster speed and availability of Merlin firmware and it will fit in my rack in the same spot where the AC5300 sat.

The technicals are fairly well documented, just wondering if there is anything else I should be aware of or consider.

Last edited:
RT-AX86U is probablly the most recommended router in this forum. It and the GT-AX11000 support Merlin. RT-AX88U. AKA AX6000, is not recommended due to the age of the design and components.

Thanks for the input. I liked the AX11000 was looking at trying to get the best speed possible and good coverage for 3000sq ft. I will take a look at the AX86U before finalizing.

With 100+ wireless devices? You may need a router and one or more nodes to support all those clients. Most consumer routers can support around 32 clients per radio.

With 100+ wireless devices? You may need a router and one or more nodes to support all those clients. Most consumer routers can support around 32 clients per radio.
Thanks for the response. There is a seperate hub that actually handles the devices using ZWave -- but it transmits some of the traffic via WiFi through the router. That hub has a 200 device limit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!