What's new

Replacing AC86U with AX86S or U? Do I need additional RAM of U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sambosoul

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I've been using the AC86U for three years now and have been happy with it - although my first device died after a couple of month with a faulty 5GHz radio but the replacement has been stable since.

However, over the last three years, my living situation has changed significantly. I live in a condominium and I am surrounded by wireless networks - I am counting 30+ SSIDs. I am keen to jump to WiFi6 as the AC86U struggles to cover my entire apartment (75sqm). I am hoping that WiFi6 will improve coverage as I have the required client devices existing.
I live in a hot country and my apartment heats up to 30 degrees celsius when I am away and the air conditions are switched off. The AC86U runs constantly at 90-93 degrees Celsius and I heard that the AX86S/U has a better heat management.

I have ~ 15 WiFi clients permanently connected, it's a mix of 2.4GHz and 5GHz devices with the majority running on 5GHz. I have one active OpenVPN client connection active for my AppleTV in order to access streaming services. I want to move away from OpenVPN towards Wireguard client connection once there is a stable firmware version available.

I am aware of the differences between the AX86U and AX86S and the only question mark is on the need for the greater RAM in the AX86U. Right now I am consuming 393MB/512MB of my AC86U therefore leaving 119MB unallocated. The current uptime is 13 hours (there was a little power glitch last night lol).

My ISP bandwidth is 500/500

Based on these information I guess the AX86S would meet my requirements, however, I wonder if the 1GB RAM on the AX86U is more 'future-proof'? What do you guys think?

WiFi6 still uses the existing channels, so it will still be affected by your environment.

Attach a or two small cooling fans to your router, this will help keep the router cool.

RT-AX86S is more like AC86U for upgraded radios, RT-AX86U will be a better choice if you have enough budget.

Running Wireguard on a router won't be a good option in the short term in my opinion, as routers can't hardware accelerate it, which means more CPU consumption, more heat, so the AX86U's multi-core is better for Wireguard .

For Asuswrt, hardware acceleration Wireguard may not be seen anytime soon, so OpenVPN is still the most CPU-efficient option.

Last edited: