What's new

Replacing AX68u with AX88u Pro for WireGuard and Transmission performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thorton

Regular Contributor
I have ax68u with Merlin firmware, which is used for browsing and torrent downloads (via Transmission installed on router itself).

I have 1 Gbps download/upload link and use WireGuard VPN client on router (both for browsing and downloading torrents). However, the max speed I can get is up to 250-300 mbps when performing speed test on remote client (like PC), and Transmission download speed is up to 100 mbps on router itself.

As far I know, wireguard speed depends on CPU and RAM, and ax88u pro has better CPU and more RAM, so I'm wondering if upgrade will impact wireguard and/or transmission performance in this scenario. Theory says it should, but CPU difference is very small (1.8 vs 2.0 GHz), so I don't know if it's worth spending 250 EUR just to find out. And if speed only improves by 10% (which is the difference between CPUs speed), it's definitely worthless.

I'm pretty sure speed restriction comes from wireguard because if I run speed test with VPN disabled, I get up to 850-900 mbps download/upload on remote client (didn't test transmission yet).

I think Wireguard disables NAT-acceleration which affects speeds. Somebody correct me if im wrong.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!