What's new

Replacing BT Smart Hub 2 with Asus XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ms10

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm shortly to receive a pair of Asus ZenWifi XT8. The aim is to create a future-proof wifi based network through the house capable of at least 200Mbps, but preferably closer to the 300Mbps currently provided by my BT fttp. I'm very much no expert in matters network-related.

I've tried the best powerline that Devolo can offer: meh....

So next step is to try the best mesh domestic wifi, which is apparently the Zen XT8

I'm not fully sure, however, whether I should:

a) keep the BT Smart Hub 2 connected to the modem; switch off its wifi; and connect one of the Zens to the Hubs LAN and run the Zen in AP mode. This would mean that the Hub continues as the DHCP server. I've received some advice that this setup would result in two private networks ("double-NATting"), but my understanding is that AP mode negates this possibility.

or, b) ditch the Hub and run the Zen in its default "wireless router mode" by connecting its WAN port to the output of the modem. I understand that swapping the Hub out for other routers is easy, requiring no config and a standard username and password.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks
Mark

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!