What's new

Replacing FTTH gateway with media converter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

one-niner

New Around Here
Hi all,

I want to replace the FTTH gateway provided by my ISP with a fiber to copper media converter since the gateway doesn't support bridge mode and I'm getting tired of having to deal with this box. The ISP does offer a different (older) gateway that supports bridge mode but they want me to pay for it and I'd rather have my own equipment.

I have no experience with fibers and media converters but I understand that it needs to match the specs of the gateway to work. The question is if I have all the information I need (see below) to buy the right stuff.

The gateway is an Icotera i6801-10
Full datasheet: https://icotera.com/media/1398/ftth-gateway-i6800.pdf
• Single-mode fiber (ITU-T G.652) SC/PC connector
• 100BaseBX10/20 compliant
• 1000BaseBX10/20 compliant
• Tx: 1310 nm, Rx: 1480–1600 nm
• Full-duplex transmission
• Operating distance: 20 km
• Transmit power: -7 – -2 dBm
• Receive sensitivity: -3 – -23 dBm

Specifically, I'm confused about the exact connector type and whether I need to find a converter that matches the full Rx range specified.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm in the EU so a link to a specific product in this region would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

You can replace your FTTH gateway with a converter or SFP module as long as the cable and module used is the same as the fiber optic type used.
You also need to check other things that are used before the router. If theres phone than you need something else for it too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!