What's new

Replacing my router (ASUS RTN66U), need faster but no wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

venture996

Occasional Visitor
I've been using an old Asus RTN66U as my wired router, but I now need to support a personal VPN and I think this old router will not handle the load. I have 3 Netgear routers as access points in the house (R7000, R6400, anda WNDR3700). Can someone recommend a router that would be fast enough to handle VPN and forewall duties, but not come with leading edge wifi (that I won't be using, since its in my utility room)?

I tried looking at wired routers, but it seems like a black hole of complexity...

Last edited:
Can someone recommend a router that would be fast enough to handle VPN and forewall duties, but not come with leading edge wifi (that I won't be using, since its in my utility room)?
The Asus RT-AC2900 (86u) comes to mind. Scattered throughout this forum are favorable comments regarding speed through VPN (no personal experience myself). Sorry, it also happens to have pretty good WiFi performance.

The 86U as mentioned above or build a pfsense unit for around the same price which would be more powerful.

Qotom boxes (some even with pfsense preinstalled) are available online for $200-250 with 2 - 4 ethernet ports and an Intel Dual or Quad core CPU. The newer Qotom boxes have a Dual Core CPU but more powerful and it supports AES-NI instructions required for pfsense 2.5.