What's new

Replacing Orbi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Omair

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am in Pakistan so I cannot return goods. I will be asking a friend to bring the router so I am relying on your expertise here. I will list down the options currently available locally in my city. For all other options, I will have to ask a friend in US or Canada to order it and send it with someone.

Previous Setup:
I bought Netgear Orbi 2.5 years back (1 router + 1 satellite). The router has been bricked. I have tried for over 2 months to bring it back to life using recommendations on this forum and Netgear community. All in vain. The wifi on the router keeps disconnecting every 30 seconds.

My needs:
I live with my parents in a house made of cement (cement walls). I live on upper floor (covered area 6500 sqft approx). I have cameras for surveillance setup across all 4 corners and one at the main entrance. The orbi setup was able to cover the complete house for my needs. I use the wifi on 6 phones, 2 laptops and 1 tv. I have a 30mbps connection. Looking for something that can provide a solid coverage as Orbi.

Budget up to $400.

Options available locally with local warranty:
- TP Link Deco X60, Triple Pack, AX3000 ($400) (18 months warranty)
- TP Link Deco X20, Triple Pack, AX1800 ($300) (18 months warranty)
- Linksys Velop WHW03 AC2200, Triple Pack, Used ($180)
- Nighthawk Dual-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 1.8Gbps, Router + 3 Satellites - AX1800 4-Pack (MK64) ($400)

Last edited:
I guess you have given up on the recovery effort...

@Tech9 - it was good effort to help him out...

I guess you have given up on the recovery effort...

@sfx2000 @Tech9 still working on restoring the bricked orbi using your tftp method. posted an update on the above thread.

I will not stop trying nor buy a new one until I know for sure it's a hardware issue. Like I said, I am persistent and will keep trying. Doing so since last 2 months. Since I am in Pakistan, I will be only getting the new one delivered to me in 8-10 weeks. $400 is a steep investment where I live. It's would be better to know which one I'd be buying earlier on so that I can pick up a good deal during Christmas and new year sales.

RBK50 is worth saving, if possible. I had one in my collection and it was working very well - better than what I've seen from AiMesh.

so that I can pick up a good deal during Christmas

Unfortunately, I can't give any recommendations for the options you have above. Read some reviews perhaps and decide what fits well.

RBK50 is worth saving, if possible. I had one in my collection and it was working very well - better than what I've seen from AiMesh.

Unfortunately, I can't give any recommendations for the options you have above. Read some reviews perhaps and decide what fits well.
I have just added Nighthawk Dual-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 1.8Gbps, Router + 3 Satellites, AX1800 4-Pack (MK64).

Would Asus ZenWifi be a good replacement & investment?

Not sure if any of the options I have mentioned are any match to Orbi.

My main requirements are solid wifi connectivity across the 6500 sqft area for surveillance cameras and wifi access to mobile phones and something that is easy to setup and secure for kids.

I am not very knowledgeable about network and connectivity and therefore rely on this forum's member experience to make an informed buying decision/investment being in a country with no access to directly order or return the goods.

Which company or brand would you recommend?

I am finding this one interesting:
TP Link Deco W7200 (2-pack), Tri Band Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router System | 2- Mesh Routers | Coverage up to 5,500 Sq Ft
Available for $189.

Which company or brand would you recommend?

Stay with what you know, and the equipment on hand - your base unit might have issue, but you have good satellite units.

Doing a remove/replace - I do suggest another Orbi config, honestly, because it works, and it worked for you for a couple of years...

Replacing all the units with Asus AIMest - costly, and if you look at the forums, troublesome and a bit of a dumpster fire in my honest opinion.