What's new

Replicating volume and choice of RAID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgrobins

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am after some advice about choice of RAID or options with my Synology Diskstation to ensure decent redundancy /protection and future flexibility.

My current config is at risk I think if a drive failure occurs, and also limits me for size options when I expand again.

I currently have a Synology 1812+ I use for backup of data, and storage of media (movies and music stored for access through home).

4 of 8 bays populated with 4GB drives in a RAID 5 array (6.5GB of 10.8GB avail filled).

I have some questions regarding expansion and options for future disk size etc.

1. Can I add an additional redundant disk to RAID 5 and make it RAID 6 on a Syn DS?
Is this sensible or would the rebuild create a high risk of failure?

2. I am considering switching from RAID 5 to SHR 2. This will give me 2 disks of redundancy, and more flexibility with disk sizes in future as I add more.

To do this I either need to:
A) create a second volume with 4 new disks and copy the data over (current space avail makes this possible with 4x 4TB disks added).

B) shift the data off the 1812+ and then recreate the array as SHR2

I can do either but their is a risk of losing the data if a problem arises during the rebuild from the source disk.

I figured I would remove 2 drives after the task was complete leaving 1 volume in place (or perhaps a hot spare)... or is it better to simply run all 8 (even use the original volume as a backup destination until I need the space?).

Just after some input and thoughts :)

Meant to add.... If I go with option "A" - what is the best way to recreate my shares and files onto the new volume? Replication only appears to be offered between DS units. Manual share creation and file copy?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!