What's new

reporting issues with odhcp6c client... where?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bengalih

I suspect @RMerlin may be the only one to be able to answer this, but maybe someone else knows.

I am trying to do some rework some customization on my WAN connection and I need to manually call the odhcp6 client.
The format I see being used by Merlin's odhcp6 implementation clearly works, but the provided syntax does not seem to match the documentation.
I was attempting to report this as a documentation issue/question over at https://bugs.openwrt.org/ which is where https://github.com/openwrt/odhcp6c says to do so.
However when reporting there you need to define the openwrt version, etc.
This leads me to believe this is only for releases compiled and used for openwrt.

I assume anything being done with odhcp6 is in-built by Asus and not something done by RMerlin himself, but where can I go to ask questions about it?

Thanks.

I suspect @RMerlin may be the only one to be able to answer this, but maybe someone else knows.

I am trying to do some rework some customization on my WAN connection and I need to manually call the odhcp6 client.
The format I see being used by Merlin's odhcp6 implementation clearly works, but the provided syntax does not seem to match the documentation.

Bugs reported there may be addressed for 3rd parties...

What is the problem you are having?

I'm not an expert on odhcp6c, but I vaguely remember that at some point the project got forked. Asus probably uses the "stock" odhcp6c, while OpenWRT might possibly be on that fork (which has a few differences).

Search Github to track down the original odhcp6c.

Bugs reported there may be addressed for 3rd parties...

What is the problem you are having?
Technically its not a problem, more like a clarification because the syntax I see being used doesn't appear to match the documentation.

I'll just cut/paste what I was about to post to the openwrt site and maybe you know the answer. If not, if you can suggest what I am meant to put on the openwrt tracker when they ask version, etc... (should I just put 'N/A' or something similar):

I discovered this syntax through my router's default configuration for IPv6:

`odhcp6 -df -R -s /tmp/dhcp6c -N try -c XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXYYYYY -FP 0:YYYYY eth0`

It appears that the "YYYYY" set after the -FP options supplies the client's SOLICIT requests with that value as the identifier for IA_PD requests.

The only two options provided and their documented use states:
` -P <length> Request IPv6-Prefix (0 = auto)
-F Force IPv6-Prefix
`
Therefore it doesn't appear that the -F supports any options, and the -P flag requires a length. Based on the syntax in the command it appears that this value is then being passed to the options:

0:YYYYY

If the "0" defines "auto" for the -P option, then the ":YYYYY" which supplies the IAID seems to be undefined.

I am just trying to make sense of this format, because it clearly seems to work/do something when defined (I can see the IAID in the packets when in use), but I can't see the documentation explaining this.

Ugh, don't ask.
I was going to address this briefly in your last post on my ddns issue, but this seems like a more apt place to post it. Whereas before I only caught hints of your attitude, it is on full display on your response here.

You've been replying to almost all of the posts I've put up over the last week. (Which, just to make sure you were aware, you are under no obligation to do.) I haven't always agreed with your suggestions or way of approaching the issue (just as you clearly have not always understood exactly why I was addressing the issue). Despite that, I've appreciated your feedback and your expertise in areas that I am lacking (especially your descriptions of the interface options pre/post 386 which look very helpful - and I do plan to go back and study them to re-evaluate my configuration, that's just a bit lower on my priority).

However the attitude like you display in the above response is really not welcome nor are your constant accusations that all my issues are due to my configuring my device all "hacky." I'm pretty sure a good portion of users here are not simply installing Merlin and letting it run with no additional configurations. Using jffs for custom scripts, or running Skynet, diversion, or any of the other apps out there are all considered "hacks" of the device. This is a hobbyist forum and the fact that someone has configured their device in a way that you haven't doesn't mean that a) they have no idea what they are doing or b) they've done it wrong. I may not be an expert on embedded linux systems, but I do have a 20-25 year career in IT my past, so I'm not entirely clueless.

I don't really want to make a bigger deal out of this, but I felt that if I didn't say something now, I might let something more offensive slip if you continued your comments like those above. Again, I appreciate your (helpful) input and hope that you continue to contribute if you feel it is apt to the issues at hand. If you want to continue to harass me like the post above, I'd really rather you just didn't chime in to my posts.
I'd actually prefer you didn't respond to this, because I don't want to turn this whole thread into a debate on the matter. I've explained my position and you can either accept it as valid, or you can continue on the current vein in any thread I post. If you wanted to engage me over PM I'm happy to discuss it. OTOH, I feel I shouldn't tell you that you aren't allowed to respond to me openly since I have addressed it so. Just realize I likely won't respond back on the topic (due to the reasons I just addressed).

In either case, I don't harbor any ill feelings up to this point. Thanks.

Technically its not a problem, more like a clarification because the syntax I see being used doesn't appear to match the documentation.

I'll just cut/paste what I was about to post to the openwrt site and maybe you know the answer. If not, if you can suggest what I am meant to put on the openwrt tracker when they ask version, etc... (should I just put 'N/A' or something similar):

RMerlin makes a good point - odhcp6c was forked some time back, and I can't speak for what version is being used in AsusWRT - his code is up on github, and it might be helpful to review the source there as it will be current with what is implemented by ASUS...

The openwrt forum folks are usually pretty helpful, so it doesn't hurt to ask, but answers there will be specific to how the version in their source tree...

RMerlin makes a good point - odhcp6c was forked some time back, and I can't speak for what version is being used in AsusWRT - his code is up on github, and it might be helpful to review the source there as it will be current with what is implemented by ASUS...

The openwrt forum folks are usually pretty helpful, so it doesn't hurt to ask, but answers there will be specific to how the version in their source tree...

It's weird. The code in both Merlin and the openwrt repo has the following at top:

Code:
 * Copyright (C) 2012-2014 Steven Barth <steven@midlink.org>
 * Copyright (C) 2017 Hans Dedecker <dedeckeh@gmail.com>

So looked up these guys and these are their repos:

Both show that they are forked from openwrt and haven't had updates in years.

I have looked in the code though and this is the relevant portion:

Code:
        case 'P':
            if (ia_pd_mode == IA_MODE_NONE)
                ia_pd_mode = IA_MODE_TRY;

if (allow_slaac_only >= 0 && allow_slaac_only < 10)
                allow_slaac_only = 10;

char *iaid_begin;
            int iaid_len = 0;
            int prefix_length = strtoul(optarg, &iaid_begin, 10);

if (*iaid_begin != '\0' && *iaid_begin != ',' && *iaid_begin != ':') {
                syslog(LOG_ERR, "invalid argument: '%s'", optarg);
                return 1;
            }

struct odhcp6c_request_prefix prefix = { 0, prefix_length };

if (*iaid_begin == ',' && (iaid_len = strlen(iaid_begin)) > 1)
                memcpy(&prefix.iaid, iaid_begin + 1, iaid_len > 4 ? 4 : iaid_len);
            else if (*iaid_begin == ':')
                prefix.iaid = htonl((uint32_t)strtoul(&iaid_begin[1], NULL, 16));
            else
                prefix.iaid = htonl(++ia_pd_iaid_index);

odhcp6c_add_state(STATE_IA_PD_INIT, &prefix, sizeof(prefix));
            break;

I'm not a C programmer, so I can't decode all of it, but I see enough to know that I am correct in that it is using a defined IAID that comes after the ":". It looks like you might be able to define it also with a "\0" or a "," as the separator?

I'm not entirely sure why the default Asus odhcp6 command uses the last 5 characters of the MAC address (the "YYYYY" I reference above is what that maps to), because it seems to function fine with whatever you put in that field.

On a windows system, you can see the IAID for an interface with "ipconfig /all"
Code:
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.100
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 10XXXXX59
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-9D-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
                                       2600:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX::1

I don't even know how it is being used on the Asus, or where you would look for it.
That's probably a whole other topic, and not sure its worth getting into as it isn't actually causing an issue for me (i.e. I can set it to whatever), but it would be nice to know why.

I guess however my original statements were correct - that the documentation/help of odhcp6c appears to be lacking in how to define the IAID (it doesn't mention it at all, let alone the proper syntax). If I knew for sure where I could report this to I would, but it doesn't seem to be something anyone else is concerned about which possibly means I'm looking too deeply into it.

I was going to address this briefly in your last post on my ddns issue, but this seems like a more apt place to post it. Whereas before I only caught hints of your attitude, it is on full display on your response here.

Speaking of attitudes - I'm electing not to help any further..

I know the answer here, but you've burned a bridge...

This is a volunteer group - that @drinkingbird even interacts, you should appreciate his time.

I know, I get it...

you - "you have a bad attitude"
me - "ok, what kind of f**king attitude would you like me to have?"

Last edited:
Speaking of attitudes - I'm electing not to help any further..

I know the answer here, but you've burned a bridge...

This is a volunteer group - that @drinkingbird even interacts, you should appreciate his time.

I know, I get it...

you - "you have a bad attitude"
me - "ok, what kind of f**king attitude would you like me to have?"

Imagine if you and he were standing next to the water cooler at work and I walked up to you and said:
"Hey sfx2000, I've got this issue with my TPS reports, I'm wondering if you knew how to fill them out?"
And, before you could even answer me, he said "Pfft....don't even bother with this guy! I've seen his TPS reports, they suck!"
Now imagine that that you were standing at the water cooler by yourself when I came up to ask you and before you can answer he walks by and says the same. That is the online equivalent of his above response.

I've tried to be extremely civil in the matter, here and in all posts with him, even though he has gotten more and more aggressive in putting down everything I have configured on my device. I continue to feel it was 100% appropriate to address his comments that add nothing of value to the discussion, while at the same time putting me down.

If you feel so strongly that his remarks were appropriate that you would rather be vengeful then helpful, then so be it.

Thanks for the help you provided up to this point.

f you feel so strongly that his remarks were appropriate that you would rather be vengeful then helpful, then so be it.

I just have issues with someone else attempting to call out someone for a bad attitude when they actually trying to help you...

I'm not vengeful in the slightest... @drinkingbird does not need me to fight his battles, but I'll back him up as he's smart and keeps me honest.. You spending multiple paragraphs castigating him - seems like the problem is on your end, not his...

You're the new guy here - you're smart, but not street smart and have a bad feel for the room - we're not here to service your needs...

Trust me - I've earned my keep here - you'd do well to be a little bit less combative, and a bit more collaborative...

If you reference the other thread where we're discussing your paranoia over ISP monitoring (which they're still doing regardless) and the resulting scripts to override default behaviors of the router and components, along with the various other scripts you have that are causing more problems than solving, the comment is warranted and a fair warning to the other poster of what they're in for.

I'm not hinting at anything - I've made my attitude abundantly clear by repeating that you're messing things up and then coming here and asking why they aren't working, then revealing that you have some crazy script running for that particular thing that isn't working, then arguing with various people who respond saying your way is better and is fine - but then why are you here with a bunch of broken stuff?

Hey I'll give you credit, your response to my snarky comment is civilized and most can't manage that, at least not on the internet.

Honestly you need to start from scratch. Determine what you really need customization for, and carefully build scripts for only those things. A stable, fast, and reliable network should be the goal. What you have is not customizing, it is attempting to write your own firmware by overriding a bunch of Asus/Merlin stuff with a hodge podge of scripts. That just isn't going to give you the result you're looking for when neither you or I or most people other than @RMerlin himself really understand the stuff under the hood, we can only figure out bits and pieces through trial and error.

If a person at work screws up their TPS reports every week and after everyone tells them what they're doing wrong, continues to do it and wonder why they're rejected, they should expect that people will stop helping them. They certainly know I will help them once or twice then they're on their own after that. I've got longer than you in the IT industry and I don't have the time or patience to repeat myself over and over when it is falling on deaf ears.

I know I'm not required to comment on your posts, and you are not required to take any of my suggestions or advice, and if you don't like my attitude, absolutely ignore me. I'm not putting you down, just disagreeing with your approach and when you don't seem to get the hint, disagreeing more strongly.

I think you've gotten some good pointers here on what you need to look at, but like I said, I'd recommend a total wipe of the slate, especially since you still have stuff in place from old code bases and the behaviors have changed (another risk of all the customization you've done, it isn't taken into account by Asus and Merlin when they make changes). Simpler is better, try to keep the KISS principle in mind and put together something more stable and future proof.

I just have issues with someone else attempting to call out someone for a bad attitude when they actually trying to help you...

I'm not vengeful in the slightest... @drinkingbird does not need me to fight his battles, but I'll back him up as he's smart and keeps me honest.. You spending multiple paragraphs castigating him - seems like the problem is on your end, not his...

You're the new guy here - you're smart, but not street smart and have a bad feel for the room - we're not here to service your needs...

Trust me - I've earned my keep here - you'd do well to be a little bit less combative, and a bit more collaborative...

@bengalih,
@sfx2000 and I have had our share of disagreements and we both have very strong feelings about certain things. Same with a few other members on here, but we can all admit (or quietly accept) when we are wrong or when the other has a good point that we hadn't considered. That's the key, sometimes no matter how much you know or how much experience you have, someone (and very frequently not me, especially when it comes to wireless and linux based stuff) has more knowledge and experience than you.

Heck I'm sure if you look at a few interactions I've had with SFX and a couple others here you'd think we all hate each other and wonder why in the world he would be backing me up in this discussion, but in reality even strong wills can admit that they are wrong or when someone else's idea is better, or even just that we aren't going to agree on a particular subject. Well, we won't admit it in writing, but there's an unspoken understanding 😄

Of course if someone argues with me about network design or Cisco, then the gloves come off. If I can't get that right after 25 years, I might as well work the drive through somewhere. But hey, even when I'm doing my bread and butter I collaborate and incorporate good suggestions into my work, as do my peers, subordinates, and superiors.

Last edited:

I'm not vengeful in the slightest... @drinkingbird does not need me to fight his battles, but I'll back him up as he's smart and keeps me honest..

You spending multiple paragraphs castigating him - seems like the problem is on your end, not his...

Well, since I'm clearly not going to get the help I was after in this thread, I suppose it doesn't hurt to go OT at this point.

I'm curious how you feel his comment above was "trying to help me" instead of "bad attitude". I think my water cooler analogy was probably at least 90% accurate, so I'm really at a loss how you interpreted that commend as appropriate?

I realize that this a volunteer forum, but what was the purpose of volunteering that snide remark towards me? If someone doesn't feel like helping out, then just don't engage.

And not to apologize for my "multiple paragraphs [of] castigating" because I felt they were necessary to explain my point: To be sure to convey that I was grateful for the (previous) help and not bearing any ill will, but would still appreciate that I wasn't treated like I had no idea what I was doing and have done nothing but "hack" up my router. Please understand that this was not just in response to the above comment (which was by far the least called for), but for multiple comments made in the past few days.

I'm perfectly happy with someone who doesn't want to provide an answer to me because they don't want to (for whatever reason), but to repeatedly go out of the way to put someone down just doesn't make any sense.

had no idea what I was doing and have done nothing but "hack" up my router.

That's the problem - once you go "off the range" it's now your problem, not ours to solve for you. 30 feet or 30 seconds - that's the support time most of us have, and from there, it's a 50 cent cab-ride to get some advice when your attitude is what it is...

Be kind, be humble, smart people are here...

The board has an AsusWRT script subforum - and they're pretty helpful sometimes - check your attitude at the door, and they might help..

This is a hobbyist forum and the fact that someone has configured their device in a way that you haven't doesn't mean that a) they have no idea what they are doing or b) they've done it wrong. I may not be an expert on embedded linux systems, but I do have a 20-25 year career in IT my past, so I'm not entirely clueless.

You're taking this home networking gear too seriously, @bengalih. The reason is exactly your IT experience. The deeper you go the more disappointment you'll get. I was recently playing with IPv6 access discussed in another thread and had to reset the router after. Just playing with settings put it into unrecoverable with reboot condition. This is not the professional IT gear you know. If you want to play - take it as a hobby on a toy.

I'm perfectly happy with someone who doesn't want to provide an answer to me because they don't want to (for whatever reason), but to repeatedly go out of the way to put someone down just doesn't make any sense.

Nobody "put you down". Look at it from another angle, if someone asks for help then repeatedly rejects your ideas and input saying what they have is better (which contradicts the fact that it isn't working), wouldn't that get aggravating after a while?

Look at the original interaction we had about the guest wireless VLANs where after 5 or 6 times of trying to explain the same thing you finally said "ok I'm starting to see what you're saying" (paraphrasing as too lazy to go copy and paste it). But then went on to insist that I provide documentation on the new behavior vs. the old. In fact I think you even went as far as to say you'd wait until someone with more knowledge responded, a "put down" in its own right.

It is all moot, this is an internet forum, I learned long ago that you can't let your feelings get hurt or endlessly argue with people. If I'm looking to kill some time, I'll respond (in whatever way I feel appropriate) and the other person is welcome to take it or leave it.

Regardless of how you may feel, your setup is a major hack job, that's my opinion, not intended to be an insult, but seems to be backed up by all the issues you're having with it. But hey, one person's hack is another's customization, just don't expect people to spend a lot of time helping when that hack/customization doesn't work and you refuse to even acknowledge that it is a hack.

I've hacked and rigged my fair share of things in all aspects of life. And I've certainly sought help when it didn't work as expected, but I take advice and actually implement the improvements (or at the very least consider their merit and maybe apply that new knowledge to my own version of a fix). Most importantly, I also know when it has gone too far and needs to be rethought from scratch, rather than layering more stuff on top of a broken foundation.

Last edited:
@bengalih,
@sfx2000 and I have had our share of disagreements and we both have very strong feelings about certain things. Same with a few other members on here, but we can all admit when we are wrong or when the other has a good point that we hadn't considered. That's the key, sometimes no matter how much you know or how much experience you have, someone (and very frequently not me, especially when it comes to wireless and linux based stuff) has more knowledge and experience than you.

Heck I'm sure if you look at a few interactions I've had with SFX and a couple others here you'd think we all hate each other and wonder why in the world he would be backing me up in this discussion, but in reality even strong wills can admit that they are wrong or when someone else's idea is better. Well, we won't admit it in writing, but there's an unspoken understanding 😄

Of course if someone argues with me about network design or Cisco, then the gloves come off. If I can't get that right after 25 years, I might as well work the drive through somewhere. But hey, even when I'm doing my bread and butter I collaborate and incorporate good suggestions into my work, as do my peers, subordinates, and superiors.

Thanks for your response. As I mentioned above I'm just going to continue to discuss this since it went OT anyway (and I should have known better to think that it wouldn't have). Let me start by saying that I continue to approach this without any degree of animosity. I still believe that your opening comment in this thread was way off color, and I also mostly disagree with your assessment of my situation from the your 2 posts.
You made your points, so please allow me to make mine (and I apologize for the length I realize this got to, but I wanted to address all your points):

I don't want to get into a pi**ing match about who has the higher qualifications. It sounds to me like your overall direct networking experience is probably beyond mine. Nonetheless, I have a 20-25 year career in IT as well. The Cisco certifications I earned probably lapsed years before IPv6 was even a thing (I was only a CCNA/CCDA), and my main area of expertise was in Active Directory. Main point being that while I may not know as much about configuring routing on linux based systems, my overall approach to technology challenges, how to troubleshoot, etc, is not something I am a neophyte in. That's not to say I think I'm always right, but I too have a lot of experience informing my actions as well. And sure, I might be the new guy here, but I've been a member here for about 9 years and before this I was using things like openwrt/dd-wrt, etc. I was hacking palm pilots and running BBS on my 300bps modem. Again, no humble-bragging, just making it clear that it is virtually impossible for me to accept advice (from anyone) without having my own years of experience also cloud those responses.

I also stand by my statement that this device/firmware/forum is used by a lot of hobbyists, and I'm far from alone when I add configuration to my device. If you want to call it "hacky" well then, I suppose it is, but so is everything else any of us are doing the minute we start adding more info into /jffs/scripts or configs. Just because I have a higher level of customization doesn't mean that it is bad or wrong. I 100% agree that the more you "hack" the more likely something is to go wrong. There are a lot of moving pieces. But this forum isn't just meant for those who have only added Skynet. It is for people that want to break out their wireless networks from the main bridge, or configure a ddns script for a service that isn't supported OOB. My customizations have grown for the ~8 years I've been using this device, and I'm pretty proud with what I've been able to get it to do and happy with how it performs.

None of my posts over the last few days were actually looking to solve any problems I'm actually having (with the exception of my possibly bad USB disk). Everything is working great! I have no performance problems, everything is stable and that's all due to the configuration I've done (no small amount of with help and advice from others here and elsewhere). In going through my syslog with a more fine-toothed comb (for the USB issue) I began seeing various log events that I thought I could eliminate and in the process maybe optimize my configuration even more.

Is the fact that I am getting the br0 DHCP messages a problem? Probably not, other than cosmetics, but if I could clean them up (especially by fixing the root of the messages...dnsmaq) then I'd like to. While my Guest Wifi configuration may not be the current recommended way to set things up, it works without issue (and as I proved by removing my custom WiFi configuration to test, seemingly has nothing to do with the br0 dhcp messages).

Is the fact that I am seeing those occasional throttle loops in my ddns client an issue? Not really, the overall processing overhead that accounts for is negligible and it doesn't impact functionality at all. Nonetheless, I wanted to ask more about the watchdog service so I could understand why it could be happening.

The point is I know that introducing changes introduces complexity, but complexity is not in and of itself a bad thing if it is managed.
- Can I use iptables to block DHCP to my subnet? Yes - that's a possibility and not one I fully ruled out. But it still doesn't answer the question as to why the issue is happening (as it doesn't appear to be from my Guest WiFi setup). I've *never* been one to settle if someone says "hey run this and it will fix the issue" I always want to know how and why it fixes it.

- Can I use DNS-O-Matic to fix my ddns issues? I didn't like the idea of abandoning my script when I knew the script wasn't the issue, but likely some race condition with dns/ddns that might have been solvable. Nonetheless, I tried setting it up as per your suggestion. Unfortunately their CloudFlare implementation only works with the Legacy API GLOBAL key, which I consider a security risk to use as it grants whomever has it r/w access over your entire account. Instead I opted to reduce the throttle time, even though in this case I still expect the root issue will only be minimized, not actually solved.

- Can I just use a VPN instead of this whole rigmarole with my bypassing my ISP's device? Perhaps, if that was my main goal. But you assumed that because I mentioned the word "tracking" that I thought they couldn't still sniff my traffic if I didn't use their equipment (clearly I know that not to be the case). Their equipment doesn't offer a true bridge mode, which can interfere with some NAT, they lock down certain configurations relating to protocol connections and timeouts, and they can enter into your device issue FW updates, reboots, and see other local network information. Also, I see no reason to support supplying power to two boxes and introduce an extra point of failure and another heat source into my setup. I'm not the only making this choice, there are entire other forums dedicated to discussing how to do this, including at least a few others doing it on Merlin routers.

I really think you have been misinterpreting my posts (with the exception of the USB drive, which I think we have landed more or less copacetic on). I'm not here complaining that nothing is working, I'm trying to learn how certain things work under the hood for the sake of understanding them. Again, despite some errant messages in my logs, things really work 100% reliably for me.

I take your point when you say "neither you or I or most people other than @RMerlin himself really understand the stuff under the hood, we can only figure out bits and pieces through trial and error." And I'm ok with that, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't ask questions or search for the answer.

(oh man this is getting so long I have to do another post :sigh:/sorry!)

For instance, in trying to definitively answer your question about my lease times I reviewed the configuration I had setup which brought back to my attention tie IAID syntax in the odhcp6c client. I recalled that I never understood the syntax for that parameter when I set it up, even though I was able to set it up correctly by copying the configuration from the device when it was running in "Native IPv6 mode". That was the point of this thread. I just wanted to know if anyone understood the syntax because it wasn't in the documentation. Had nothing to do with the stability of my solution or even any errant error messages related to it!

I know a lot of people come here with very little knowledge and want to be hand held through every little thing (I may have been like that at one point, if not here, then certainly on other forums for some technologies). But that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for someone to explain to me how/why it works the way it does and then when I do I can make an educated attempt at how to fix, alter, implement a solution. If I can implement that solution using a standard practice/built-in function then I'll try to do so (note: I haven't written off your suggestion to redo my WiFi networks, I just don't think that is the root cause of my br0 DHCP messages, and plan to revisit it when I have the bandwidth). If there isn't an easy/accepted way to do it that sure as hell isn't going to stop me from trying to try another way if it can actually be done.

As I noted above, I just realized how long this was becoming, so I'm going to bring it to an end. I think at this point if you can't understand my viewpoint or don't find it valid at all, then I doubt anything else I say is going to change your mind. That being said, if it hasn't been clear from my original threads, or from the clarification I tried to do above: I'm not asking you (or anyone) to solve all my problems, I'm simply asking for information as to how or why certain components work the way they do.

Honestly, I hope you can see my viewpoint and in retrospect re-examine our past exchanges. I am certainly doing you the same favor.
If you still can't find any common ground with me here, I say we can part as friends and you can just choose not to assist me anymore since our methodology is so different. If you can understand that I'm looking for deeper answers than "it can't be done" or "it can only be done this way", and are still willing to share your knowledge and expertise when you can, I'd be appreciative.

Which ever you decide, no hard feelings.

Look at the original interaction we had about the guest wireless VLANs where after 5 or 6 times of trying to explain the same thing you finally said "ok I'm starting to see what you're saying" (paraphrasing as too lazy to go copy and paste it). But then went on to insist that I provide documentation on the new behavior vs. the old. In fact I think you even went as far as to say you'd wait until someone with more knowledge responded, a "put down" in its own right.
I just wanted to quickly respond to this, because I can see you were offended by it. First, while you might have felt you were saying the same exact thing over and over again, it wasn't until you actually provided the documentation that I began to see better what you were talking about.
Also, I don't believe that I ever demanded or insisted...I might have asked for some documentation as it is always helpful to see.

It sounds like you took exception to my statement:
Your linked post is informational - assuming it is all correct (as you even state it is just your best guess, and I don't see any official word specifying this.).

This was in response to what you had written in the link you sent me:
From what I've gathered on my regular 1900, this is how it is laid out (should be the same for all the AC68 variants). Not sure if this is 100% but I think so.

So I was just reiterating/checking on the fact that you were saying you were not 100% sure of it. Maybe you weren't when you wrote that but are now, or maybe you meant that you were only not 100% sure on other variants. Maybe I misinterpreted what you wrote but that is why I said "assuming it is all correct" and asked if you knew if there was actual documentation.

So, I apologize if you took that as an insult, it wasn't intended.
(If this wasn't what you took offense to, please let me know what was, so I can correct that type of response in future).