What's new

Request error, please try again - DDNS with dnsomatic ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sbfnu

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

After I had to switch my router, I entered exactly the same information I had in my previous one in the DDNS tab of my AC68U (running Merlin 384.13), for all.dnsomatic.com .

But I can't get DDNS to work with my new router. Instead, I get as DDNS status "Request error! Please try again" displayed.

What is wrong here?
How to trace down what exactly the error /fault should be here?

Thanks for helping.

Debug info will be present in the System Log.

Hi all,

After I had to switch my router, I entered exactly the same information I had in my previous one in the DDNS tab of my AC68U (running Merlin 384.13), for all.dnsomatic.com .

But I can't get DDNS to work with my new router. Instead, I get as DDNS status "Request error! Please try again" displayed.

What is wrong here?

Thanks for helping.

i, too, ran into that. See here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/free-ddns-recommendation.59945/page-2#post-523835 and the following posts, especially those that clarify what goes in Host Name etc.

I must admit, it never occurred to me to look in System Log as Merlin has suggested.

Since then I have Afraid set up. Nevertheless, I’m keen to get to the bottom of it. So please come back with anything you find.

Hmm, syslog tells me this:

Nov 1 09:04:33 inadyn[729]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Nov 1 09:04:33 inadyn[729]: [401 Unauthorized] badauth
Nov 1 09:04:33 inadyn[729]: Error response from DDNS server, exiting!​

Is there something special I need to do with/for DNS-O-Matic ?

Hmm, syslog tells me this:

Nov 1 09:04:33 inadyn[729]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Nov 1 09:04:33 inadyn[729]: [401 Unauthorized] badauth
Nov 1 09:04:33 inadyn[729]: Error response from DDNS server, exiting!​

Is there something special I need to do with/for DNS-O-Matic ?
Did you try PolarBear’s settings at https://www.snbforums.com/threads/free-ddns-recommendation.59945/page-2#post-523876

as well as DonnyJonny’s at https://www.snbforums.com/threads/free-ddns-recommendation.59945/page-2#post-523887

I drew up a table of the possible combinations of settings from those 2 posts but didn’t test them. (I’m away from home, and I’m confident I have Afraid set up properly and that I won’t lose access when the IP address eventually changes, so I’m not keen to mess around when I don’t need to.) Because I was able to successfully register Afraid on the router without needing to reboot, I don’t expect there’s a need to reboot to get DNS-O-MATIC working, as DonnyJonny suggested I try; if I were back home I’d certainly try that step as well, but I don’t want to try it remotely and risk locking myself out.

Possibly, too, those syslog entries will help one of the experts narrow down where the problem lies.

Such a shame: the Asus DDNS was just simplicity itself.

Most others posting here seem to be using
Host Name: all.dnsomatic.com
and it works for them.

I am using
Host Name: <mydomain>.<mydnssservice.com>
and that works for me.

I don't know which is the better variant.

Perhaps it doesn't matter when using dsnomatic as the <mydomain>.<mydnssservice.com> part is specified as part of the account profile at dnsomatic.com?

Solved it: After several attempts, I changed the username that I specified for authentication to DNS-O-Matic to the email address. Initially that failed, but thed next day it worked - and does since then.

Solved it: After several attempts, I changed the username that I specified for authentication to DNS-O-Matic to the email address. Initially that failed, but thed next day it worked - and does since then.
I'm having the same issue with dnsomatic, I get that same error message.

What username are you referring to? DnsOmatic only uses an email address as the username. Do you know mean you used a different email?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!