What's new

Request for Comment: Adding 6TB drives to RS815

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Biggupp

Occasional Visitor
Present setup on RS815:
2x2TB hd's RAID 1 ext4
1x2TB hd for external USB Backup

I am a professional photographer and am nearty at capacity and need to expand by adding hd's. What do others suggest? I purchased 3x6TB hd's. I am thinking of creating a second, 6TB RAID 1 ext4 and using the third 6TB as backup.

I'd like to use my old DS211j 2-bay NAS for local backup using 1x2TB and 1x6TB for their respective size arrays.

Lastly, I am researching offsite backup and wonder others do. How good is Synology's backup service?

Based on the good feedback here, I opted to create 2 x RAID 1 arrays:
2x2TB (existing)
2x6TB

During the install of the 6TB array, which went fine, I discovered that the 2TB drives (Vol 1 and Vol 2) were not functioning as RAID 1. IE, each contained different data. Not sure what happened; drives are identical and were originally set up as RAID 1.

I moved data from Vol 1 to the 6TB array so that I could wipe Vol 1 in order to (re)create the 2TB RAID. I used Vol 2 as the source volume to mirror. FYI, I purchase multiple drives at the same time so that RAIDs contain identical drives.
I followed the procedure to repair the set, starting with removing / reinserting Vol 1 to show a degraded drive in Storage Manager. After repair (an 8hr sync), the 2 TB RAID 1 only shows 1TB, half of what it should be!

What did I miss in this procedure?

I figured it out. In Storage Manager > Volume > 'Volume 2' , selecting 'edit' opened a dialog in which I could change 'allocate size (GB)'. Changed it to reflect the full 1.8TB! Not sure why the default was half the max size. But voila!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!