What's new

Request: Recommend a Media Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salieri

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I want to buy a router and set it to “media bridge” mode so I can connect some media/game devices to its Ethernet ports to get better throughput (3 in total).

My main router is an Asus AC86U. What would be a good value one to acquire? Or is there a better option? (I live in a rental, so a hardwired/ethernet setup is not in the cards).

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The product category of indoor media bridges has basically died. People either use another router in wireless bridge mode, or use an extender/repeater.

Most extenders today are wall-plugged and have only a single Ethernet port. Something like the NETGEAR EX7000 has 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports and is in desktop format.

Another RT-AC86U would be the ideal match. An RT-AC66U_B1 or an RT-AC56U also works well too.

any old router will probably do - enough mimo streams might pay off though depending on how much is going on bihind it.
I just upgraded from an r7000 to an rt-ac86u and I now use the R7000 as wifi bridge in the sleeping room. it is simultaneously the fastest client I have as well as the most remote one. Definitely superior to the wifi chip in the laptop being fed by it via ethernet :)
(in my case it is overkill though because it's basically just a wifi adapter for one single client. but that client sure is snappy)