1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Request review] 802.11ac versus 802.11ax access points

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by Krisbi, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Krisbi

Krisbi Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I really like snb´s reviews, e.g.
    2x2 AC Access Point Roundup
    Introduction To The TR-398 Wi-Fi Performance Test

First I actually wanted to propose a review of SMB powered access points with 4x4 MU-MIMO e.g.
    - Ubiquiti nanoHD
    - Grandstream GWN7630
    both with the same Mediatek SoC (I think) and see how both behave when there are lot of concurrent clients connected with/without MU-MIMO, how a "noname" GWN7630 compares a well known nanoHD, whether all that hype about Ubiquiti is true or not.

But then I realized that 802.11ac (wave 2) looks old for some people pushing 802.11ax access points from some vendors namely Engenius.

So now I want to suggest an article "Demystifying Engenius EWS377AP":
    - Qualcomm 802.11ax versus 2x Mediatek 802.11ac (wave 2)
    - 300$ versus 150$ versus 100$ access point
    - Answer the question, whether it makes sense to buy so called "802.11ax" access points or just buy current 802.11ac ones.

Just an idea. Well it´s late after all, let´s go to bed...

2. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Glad you like our old reviews. Unfortunately, we won't be doing a lot of them in the future. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/other-news/33218-a-new-door-opens

That said, we generally don't review access points, and certainly not higher-end ones (4x4).

But for the question of whether to buy 802.11ax access points (or routers) at this point, I do not recommend it. Most products do not support key features of 802.11ax such as OFDMA and DL (AX) MU-MIMO. For those that do, the features may cause connection problems with older devices.

At this point, the only advantage an AX AP/Router provides is to 11AX devices on the 2.4 GHz band. Higher AX link rates can provide higher throughput, even with only 20 MHz bandwidth. On 5 GHz, you get a throughput advantage only if your devices (AC or AX) support 160 MHz bandwidth, if the channels are allowed in your geographic region and if radar is not active in your area. But you can also get 160 MHz bandwidth support in some AC routers, like the NETGEAR R7800.

avtella and L&LD like this.
  3. EmeraldDeer

EmeraldDeer Very Senior Member

Another viewpoint is that the best 802.11ac router for you may turn out to be an 802.11ax router. I am happy with my choice.

L&LD likes this.
  4. coxhaus

coxhaus Part of the Furniture

Maybe and maybe not. It will be interesting when they add 6 GHz to Wi-Fi6e.