What's new

[Request][RT AC5300] Plex Media Center

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fanee

Occasional Visitor
Dear Asuswrt-Merlin Devs,

This is a request. It will be nice to have a builtin Plex Media Center so that usb storage devices can be attached just like its competitior , NETGEAR Nighthawk X10.

NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 & plex
Here are the reference videos for
1-

Dear Asuswrt-Merlin Devs,

This is a request. It will be nice to have a builtin Plex Media Center so that usb storage devices can be attached just like its competitior , NETGEAR Nighthawk X10.

NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 & plex
Here are the reference videos for
1-

And please accept my request to not include this package by default (optional, if possible is better). :)

And please accept my request to not include this package by default (optional, if possible is better). :)

If possible via plugin or optional, I will be much obliged and available for QA if required as I so use plex alot (without plex pass)

Last edited:
I installed Plex media server on a Raspberry Pi and also use it as SMB server. I really don't use the Plex feature though.

I use plex as well but someone explain to me why it would be better to run on the router itself with USB storage attached then using a Desktop PC I already have? I assume a PC would be better due to the CPU needed to transcode the media files.

Always on & power friendly & online for direct steam.

Edit: Not that i would do it.

Last edited:
Always on & power friendly & online for direct steam.
I have a FreeNAS server running on a dual core 1ghz processor, with two 4tp drives and 8 gb ram Roughly 18w, half of that being the drives. But, coincidently, a similar processor to my 87U.

I have tried Plex on it, and Emby as well. Even serving up one media stream by Plex without transcoding will peg both cores for a time before settling back at a slightly lower rate. Now I know this is underpowered for a FreeNAS server but it works just fine for serving up files, including media files.

But this more or less has shown me not to expect the router to do something like this.

If transcoding isn't required and all files are streamed via 'Direct play' in a compatible file format, then minimal resources will be placed on to most routers seen on this forum by running Plex. Much less than running OpenVPN, which most here do.

Having said this, if transcoding is needed then you need to reconsider your options.

That was my exactly point. Only for direct play , I mean XHawk is doing it . Is XHawk more powerful than asus ac 5300 ?

Keep in mind that router manufacturers (both Asus and Netgear do this) add all sorts of "gimmicky" things to their routers for marketing purposes ...

From an engineering/technical design standpoint - do all of these features make sense?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!