What's new

[Request] Script that alerts/notifies when a new device/mac connects?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SubNoize

Occasional Visitor
Does this exist? It's a relatively niche thing but a page that displays the latest connected devices and adds to it until it's checked/cleaned would be helpful especially for tagging them/assigning them. I know guest networks exist but I could be at work, my wife has a friend over and gives out wifi password and then when I came home I could check the page and see what devices connected when it first connected etc Another scenario is my kids are getting older, connecting devices or their friends coming over. I'd just like to be able to monitor what's connecting and as your device list grows it gets a little difficult to spot new devices in the list.

thanks

Not that I know of... You could just lock it down and require MAC address filtering, and then nobody (with a new device) would be able to connect unless they have your approval, and a legit MAC address. :) That's one way to see who is getting access.

Not that I know of... You could just lock it down and require MAC address filtering, and then nobody (with a new device) would be able to connect unless they have your approval, and a legit MAC address. :) That's one way to see who is getting access.
It is a very thoughtful suggestion, but easily spoofable if a known mac address is on the allowed list. Also, talk about a growing list stored in the nvram (atleast i think it still is.) The larger the list, the more space it takes up in the routers already limited memory.

It is a very thoughtful suggestion, but easily spoofable if a known mac address is on the allowed list. Also, talk about a growing list stored in the nvram (atleast i think it still is.) The larger the list, the more space it takes up in the routers already limited memory.
I wouldn't put it past some of my hacker kids from wanting to try to spoof MAC addresses, but I think you'll be safe from guests wanting to penetrate your home wifi network with a spoofed MAC addresses. LOL

I wouldn't put it past some of my hacker kids from wanting to try to spoof MAC addresses, but I think you'll be safe from guests wanting to penetrate your home wifi network with a spoofed MAC addresses. LOL
My concern would lie more with how many clients does he have to add to that list? My network has over 65 clients on a busy day, and 50 on a bad one. Imagine how much Nvram I would be using to MAC allow my clients.

My concern would lie more with how many clients does he have to add to that list? My network has over 65 clients on a busy day, and 50 on a bad one. Imagine how much Nvram I would be using to MAC allow my clients.
True... that's why he needs RTRMON to keep a close eye on that NVRAM usage! LOL

And then forget about doing it for those clients that change MAC address every-time they reconnect.o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:eek::eek::eek::eek:
I'm using this method to maintain about 8 different clients... I have not seen it impact my nvram in any major way. But I suppose for very large sets, it could take a hit. :p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!