What's new

Requesting advice: Purchase a Asus RT-AC66U_B1 or RT-AC68U or RT-AC1900P?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alumiu90

Occasional Visitor
I am looking to replace an RT-N66U with one of the above listed wireless routers and was looking for input and advice. It will be connected as an Access Point to start with, but that could change.

We have three levels in our home and the AP is currently located in the basement, but covers the whole house without any issues. Currently the lower level is hardwired and a Roku, DVD, A/V Receiver, desktop computer, Smart TV and PS4 are connected this way. 4 Iphones, 3 laptops, 2 Ipads and an Xbox One share the Access Point.

I am not sure which of the listed 3 would provide me with the most bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the advice.

My intent is to use the old Asus RT-N66U as a wired router to replace a TP-Link TL-R860 router that is cutting my wired internet speed in half. I will turn off the wireless transmit on the RT-N66U and then send the output through a switch. Only reason I thought of buying a new wireless router was why waste money on a non-wireless router if I moved in a few years and then did not have a wired home at my new address. This way I would have two wireless routers if nothing else.

Maybe I would be better served with just getting a replacement wired router and still using my RT-N66U as the AP. Just trying to maximize the bang for my buck. The TL-R860 was fine until my internet speeds were upgraded and now it does not allow me to realize the full potential of my incoming internet speeds.

Do yourself a favor: Get a good main router and use the N66U as AP - same as I do (see footer). :rolleyes:

Any of the listed models will preform well as an AP. Same if you want to use it as router

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!