What's new

Research Question Help Requested

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CKeanResearch

New Around Here
Hi, I'm doing research on home router deployments for my class, trying to get a grip on how many are used compared to (for example) docsis modems. I'm curious as to sales volumes of home router products year over year, and the structure of QOS/SQM systems. Are you using fq_codel (RFC8290) underneath? If not, what does it use? Thank you!

Hi, I'm doing research on home router deployments for my class, trying to get a grip on how many are used compared to (for example) docsis modems. I'm curious as to sales volumes of home router products year over year, and the structure of QOS/SQM systems. Are you using fq_codel (RFC8290) underneath? If not, what does it use? Thank you!
Its probably best to just employ your favorite search engine. this forum has basically become specifically focused on merlin-asus firmware, which is all fine and good. to paraphrase jim salter ,"it's great if you want to chance using firmware curated by one person, who's named after a mythical being."

trying to get a grip on how many are used compared to (for example) docsis modems.

Two different things. When you have a cable connection with a docsis modem, you also need a router to share that connection with multiple clients.

I'm curious as to sales volumes of home router products year over year,

You will have a hard time getting figures, as manufacturers don't tend to share that kind of information. You also have to take into account that some ISPs provide a router (or a modem/router combo) to their customers, while others will require end-users to provide their own.

Are you using fq_codel (RFC8290) underneath? If not, what does it use? Thank you!

Not much uses fq_codel, because that scheduler only appeared in recent Linux versions. It's mostly used by third party firmware projects at this point, like OpenWRT, or by self-build routers. The vast majority of SOHO routers found off the shelves still use very basic SFQ queuing mechanisms. The situation might be different with business class products, but you'd have to check manufacturer by manufacturer to determine who uses what.

Its probably best to just employ your favorite search engine. this forum has basically become specifically focused on merlin-asus firmware

Telling him to use a search engine instead of answering him certainly won't promote discussions of different topics...