What's new

Reserved IP address on Guest network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jplw

Regular Contributor
My guest network (1) is specified for all AIMesh nodes, and assigns 192.168.101.x ip addresses. The mechanism in the GUI does not allow bindng the MAC and IP addresses, claiming the IP address is invalid. In my opinion this is a bug, and I reported to Asus 4 FW versions ago (for my 66U B1). Does anybody know a way through the CLI to reserve and IP address on this guest network based a MAC address?

Making persistent changes to the DHCP server on stock firmware would be very difficult to do reliably.

My guest network (1) is specified for all AIMesh nodes, and assigns 192.168.101.x ip addresses. The mechanism in the GUI does not allow bindng the MAC and IP addresses, claiming the IP address is invalid. In my opinion this is a bug, and I reported to Asus 4 FW versions ago (for my 66U B1). Does anybody know a way through the CLI to reserve and IP address on this guest network based a MAC address?
A client will get the same IP address on the guest network, and main network, from the DHCP server almost forever. I have a WIFI printer that keeps the same IP address even though I factory reset the firmware and switch between Asuswrt and Merlin. OK, they may not be in a tidy order as some would like but thy will not change unless the MAC address changes.

Edit: I seem to remember that you can assign reserved addresses if you use Guest networks 2 and 3. They will get the same address range as the router LAN. However, they will not propagate to AiMesh nodes.

And why would you need a reservation for Guest? It's designed for outbound traffic, not really for LAN internal traffic.

And why would you need a reservation for Guest? It's designed for outbound traffic, not really for LAN internal traffic.
That is a great question. I have camera's on there because they are cloud-connected and I do not want to risk the main network...but I need them to rtsp stream to my dvr.

A client will get the same IP address on the guest network, and main network, from the DHCP server almost forever. I have a WIFI printer that keeps the same IP address even though I factory reset the firmware and switch between Asuswrt and Merlin. OK, they may not be in a tidy order as some would like but thy will not change unless the MAC address changes.

Edit: I seem to remember that you can assign reserved addresses if you use Guest networks 2 and 3. They will get the same address range as the router LAN. However, they will not propagate to AiMesh nodes.
After the latest firmware, I notived that te ip address changed after rebooting. I will try Guest Network 2.

Making persistent changes to the DHCP server on stock firmware would be very difficult to do reliably.
My camera connects through a range extender. Every time my router reboots (which I must do at least weekly to keep thngs working), the IP address changes. I access it via rtsp from the main network. To allow this I already run a script (manually) after each reboot to allow that access from the main network. I could add oher commands to change it's IP address if I knew what they were!

Or is it this...

AiMesh router <lan/wlan> AiMesh node <guest1 wlan> extender <wireless> cam

...with script on router permitting DVR on LAN/WLAN to RTSP from cam on guest1 WLAN(?).

OE

If the camera is connected to the main router via an extender rather than an AiMesh node you ought to be able to use guest network #2 or #3 and create a DHCP reservation as normal.
I have created guest network #2, and can indeed reserve the IP address. The reason I use a guest network is to not let the clould-connected Wyze camera access my main network, so I have intranet access disabled. However, now I cannot stream via rtsp to the main network. When the camera was on the 102.x network (Guest #1), i used the trick of deleting a BROUTING table entry to allow access. I deleted this similar entry hoping it would allow access to the camera on Guest #2:

-p IPv4 -i wl0.2 --ip-dst 192.168.1.0/24 --ip-proto tcp -j DROP

but it still does not allow access. Any ideas what I can do now?