What's new

Reset router, and now can't login

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Cavalli

Regular Contributor
I did a hard reset with the 384.15 firmware. At the login screen, admin/admin logs in. Brings me to a change login screen. If I change to anything, it brings me back to the login screen, where only admin/admin works, which brings me back to p/w change.

Is there any way I can circumvent this login / password change loop to get to any other settings? Stuck with phone to get this posted.

Thanks.

I did a hard reset with the 384.15 firmware. At the login screen, admin/admin logs in. Brings me to a change login screen. If I change to anything, it brings me back to the login screen, where only admin/admin works, which brings me back to p/w change.

Is there any way I can circumvent this login / password change loop to get to any other settings? Stuck with phone to get this posted.

Thanks.
I advise you do a quick internet setup. If this is a legit Asus router.

I advise you do a quick internet setup. If this is a legit Asus router.
It's a legit router that's worked for 2+ years.

In the "QIS wizard", it seems to get stuck at the Wireless Settings part of the Asus setup. Clicking "next" seems to have it spinning with nothing happening. Let it continue? Other ideas?

What 'hard reset' was done?

Can't search for you right now, but a poster gave the direct link to the advanced settings screen. Find that and reset the router again making sure you also check the 'Initialize all settings...' check box too.

Then, I would reflash the firmware again with another full reset to factory defaults.

...I have pushed the button on the back for 15+ seconds.
That's pretty vague. Do this:
1. Power off (button or unplug) and wait 30 sec.
2. Press and hold the button labeled WPS.
3. Power On while holding WPS
4. Continue holding WPS until the Power LED starts flashing. This could be around 20-25 seconds.

Wait a minute, then log-in with admin/admin

OK. Have control and logged in. Flashed 384.15 firmware again, rebooted. Now chose full reset to factory defaults and it is processing.

Progress, but now a new problem. I have full control of the GUI and its passwords. Set all settings as per the way I want to configure it. Only problem and a key one, is that internet status says, "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly." All my LAN configuration seems to be working, but I have no connectivity to the internet.

My ISP is Cox Cable and requires no password nor configuration, just connection. Now it isn't working. Is this a Cox problem or Asus router one?

Progress, but now a new problem. I have full control of the GUI and its passwords. Set all settings as per the way I want to configure it. Only problem and a key one, is that internet status says, "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly." All my LAN configuration seems to be working, but I have no connectivity to the internet.

My ISP is Cox Cable and requires no password nor configuration, just connection. Now it isn't working. Is this a Cox problem or Asus router one?
Is your time in syslog correct?

Rebooting the router fixed the Cox internet access. Tweaked things for the rest of the day to get all pieces back up and running. As of right now, everything customized back the way it was this morning, without the instability problems. The NVRAM error is gone and seems to be rock solid again.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Was really worried that I somehow bricked it. Glad to be back online with you all! :D

@David Cavalli, glad you got it working again. :)

And glad some of the 'HOG WASH***' I suggest worked for you too. :)

Now, onto the 'smoke and mirrors***' part of the show. :p :D

*** TM @Kal-EL... see this and this post. :)