What's new

Resetting Asus router remotely question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tech9

Part of the Furniture
Looks like a friend of mine got hit by some firmware update anomalies, but I can't get there in person to see what's going on. The system is RT-AC68U router with radios turned off and 2x EAP225 access points with auto assigned by DHCP IP. The access points are wired directly to the router and have own power supplies, no PoE switch. The question is if I reset the router remotely will the WAN connection be up during the initial Setup Wizard screens? The access points are up and running, but if I lose WAN-LAN there is a lot of explaining to do over the phone. What I have is AnyDesk connection to local PC. The ISP needs default Automatic IP only. Thank you!

The router is running stock Asuswrt, current release 386_51665.

Even with Anydesk you will loose connection if you reset the router. I write from experience as I used to manage a not for profit warehouse 35 miles away. Once a "helpful" volunteer pressed the reset button too long and I had to make a quick trip to reconfig the AC68U. I had managed that system over OpenVPN for years!

With that said, you could coach the resident over the phone to get the router back on line with minimal config (SSID/passphrase userid and password) then you could use Anydesk to finish the job. Teamviewer works, too.

Even with Anydesk you will loose connection if you reset the router.

The question is if the router in Setup Wizard will route WAN to LAN in any way. The IPs don't matter. If it works the APs will pick whatever DHCP is giving them as well as the PC as client. I can test with AX86U of course, but this router runs completely different firmware and what I see happening on it may or may not happen on AC68U. Explaining the basic configuration over the phone is Plan B.

The interesting part is the router has nothing in logs except dcd crashing few times a day after the last firmware update. Reboot restores the connection and it stops working again few times a day on one of the access points in random pattern. Once one AP is running, other times the other AP, sometimes both are out. My own AC66U B1 locked up about 10 days after the same update. I don't know yet if it's related.

Your issue related to the bad server file like,e other users? I am wondering if my troubles with the AX86U, which started a couple if weeks ago, were related to the last fiasco. I get the router back from repair tomorrow. Not sure I will learn what the repair center found.

Your issue related to the bad server file like,e other users?

I don't know what the issue was with AC66U B1 router. It's used for VPN exit point and the VPN server just stopped. I had to call someone to reboot it, then I downgraded the firmware and it's up again. The AC68U with APs is not mine and I'm just trying to help. They have at least one AP working most of the time and do restarts for now. I'll test what happens to LAN ports on AX86U when factory reset and proceed from there. If it doesn't work - phone.

I'll test what happens to LAN ports on AX86U

If someone wants to know - no WAN-LAN routing during Setup Wizard. The WAN LED is red. This is good, actually. This router has 2x WAN ports though and runs 388 firmware. The behavior on AC68U and 386 firmware still remains unknown. If someone wants to test and share the result - thank you!

Looks like a friend of mine got hit by some firmware update anomalies, but I can't get there in person to see what's going on. The system is RT-AC68U router with radios turned off and 2x EAP225 access points with auto assigned by DHCP IP. The access points are wired directly to the router and have own power supplies, no PoE switch. The question is if I reset the router remotely will the WAN connection be up during the initial Setup Wizard screens? The access points are up and running, but if I lose WAN-LAN there is a lot of explaining to do over the phone. What I have is AnyDesk connection to local PC. The ISP needs default Automatic IP only. Thank you!

The router is running stock Asuswrt, current release 386_51665.
Why not have him use his cell phone as a mobile hotspot so you could connect using AnyDesk or TeamViewer where you can then see the config screen and set up the router?

If someone wants to know - no WAN-LAN routing during Setup Wizard. The WAN LED is red. This is good, actually. This router has 2x WAN ports though and runs 388 firmware. The behavior on AC68U and 386 firmware still remains unknown. If someone wants to test and share the result - thank you!
Well, I told you it would do just that. Same behavior as your AX86U.

Why not have him use his cell phone as a mobile hotspot so you could connect using AnyDesk or TeamViewer where you can then see the config screen and set up the router?

The PC is a laptop connected to one of the APs. If connected to mobile hotspot it will lose local network connection.

Same behavior as your AX86U.

We are going to have a phone conversation tomorrow and I'll guide them through the setup wizard. If the system is still misbehaving after the reset I'll send them a new pre-configured ER605 router by FedEx Next Day.

New router on the way. Reset didn't work, the same issue. Perhaps the old AC68U decided to retire.
did you follow this guide?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!