What's new

Resolve Hostname setup advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrebleTA

So I have a dsl ax82u and my isp is Sky Boardband.
On the asus router it has network monitoring and I would like to set it to Sky boardband, if this is possable, I am not sure were to start, so after some advice?
Screenshot_20221019-105023_Chrome.jpg

Why change it? You need to use a hostname that always returns the same IP address(s). How reliable are Sky's addresses?

Change Resolve Hostname to dns1.skybroadband.com and Resolved IP addresses to 90.207.238.97

Last edited:
Thanks Colin for the assistance.
The reason I am trying this, is that I want my ISP to know the device is there, as its the only time anything almost points to there dns. I do have there set top TV box's pointing to there DNS, else I use dns over tls, if there dns go's down from what I know my ISP net would be down too. also I'm trying to make its more like the sky device.

I tried the above and worked from what I can see, can I add the 2nd dns to the Resolved IP addresses, 90.207.238.99 also is there a way to find the ipv6?

The reason I am trying this, is that I want my ISP to know the device is there, as its the only time anything almost points to there dns. I do have there set top TV box's pointing to there DNS, else I use dns over tls, if there dns go's down from what I know my ISP net would be down too. also I'm trying to make its more like the sky device.
I think you're misunderstanding what those fields do. You are not specifying a DNS server name or IP address there. You are telling the router to check that it can correctly resolve the given hostname. It uses whatever DNS servers you have specified in the router's WAN DNS settings.

can I add the 2nd dns to the Resolved IP addresses, 90.207.238.99...
No, that would be invalid.

yes that is correct, I'm not defining a dns there just telling the router to ping resolve that dns to see if its there if not error?.

Ok thanks. That's were i was going wrong, also I did not use the 1 in the dns resolve name.

The only other thing I see on my ISP device, is that it has a IPV6 Loopback, what is that and do I need to use it. I have ipv6 disabled on the router as enabling breaks QOS?

yes that is correct, I'm not defining a dns there just telling the router to ping resolve that dns to see if its there if not error?.
"ping resolve" is not a thing.

also I did not use the 1 in the dns resolve name.
That is wrong. The hostname dns.skybroadband.com does not exist and therefore will not resolve.

The only other thing I see on my ISP device, is that it has a IPV6 Loopback, what is that and do I need to use it. I have ipv6 disabled on the router as enabling breaks QOS?
Sorry, I know nothing about Sky's IPv6 support.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!