What's new

[Resolved]Any real benefit to upgrading Jacks in Home install?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgrobins

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
have been looking for a practical response on this and not found much so decided to post a question.
I'm knowledgeable about transmission lines / data comms etc but don't have significant practical regarding how robust LAN connections are.

I have a home wired with CAT5e, and runs from 5e patch panel to office wall socket are ~12m, where terminations are Cat5e.
Patch leads are Cat6 or 6a.

I am running 10GBase-T between a NAS and Desktop machine to use like a SAN.

Jacks (connections) will all be a point of cross-talk or reflections.... but how much of an influence will this be?

I know the 5e cable is not rated for the frequency bandwidth of 10GBe but it's generally considered ok up to about 35m?

I am interested to know if there would be a practical benefit to replacing my patch panel and wall jacks with Cat 6 or 6a (unshieleded)?

Note: pulling a 6a line is not practical without removing solar panels and roofing....

Currently with iperf I'm noting pretty reasonable performance for minimal setup but I cant find more to gain in my driver settings.

Desktop -> Patch-> Netgear 10GBase-T switch->NAS

PC-> NAS
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 9.16 GBytes 7.87 Gbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 9.16 GBytes 7.87 Gbits/sec receiver

NAS-> PC
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 9.65 GBytes 8.29 Gbits/sec 0 sender
[ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 9.64 GBytes 8.28 Gbits/sec receiver

Ifconfig shows no errors or dropped packets as best I can tell.

Well I received a bit of advice from a tech at Fluke who stated no benefit would be recognisable. Question answered :).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!