What's new

Solved RT-AC87U / RT-AC87R firmware 3.0.0.4_382_51939 issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sky

Regular Contributor
Greetings. Has anyone else been suffering problems since updating, or trying to update to the latest FW (3.0.0.4_382_51939) for the RT-AC87U routers? When I tried to update one of my AC87's it was nearly bricked. It kept rebooting every few minutes. If I connected via WiFi, it rebooted and kicked me off, and it was disallowing a hardwire LAN direct connect.

I tried to perform this particular update via the iOS phone app connected to the same network. This is my first attempt at using the phone app to perform a FW update (and likely my last).

I had a spare router I was able to put into service to take over temporarily (an old Linksys E4200). Then I completely isolated the ASUS router from everything and the next day restored to a *very* previous FW version (382_50010), then updated that FW step-by-step 382_50702 > 382_51634 > 382_51640 and stopped there.

I could not find any comments about 382_51641 nor 382_51939 being buggy, so I thought I'd ask before embarking on that trip again — only this time via direct-connect hardwire.

Thanks for any input,
Sky

1 DEC 19 | UPDATE

So… not finding any issues with ASUS' updates 382_51641 nor 382_51939 I decided to take the plunge with the router disconnected from the modem and hardwired to my laptop, no WiFi involved. I admit I was concerned that 641 was followed in just a few days by 939; not only was it uncharacteristically quick, numerically it apperaed to be a major update. The updates had struggles with Firefox, which seemed a bit weird; and instead of the page with all of the settings, etc., this strange login in with Facebook thing displayed when clicking the Guest Network link. Switching to Edge worked sort-of, but finally switching to IE 11.x did the trick. After that things went as expected — or so I thought.

Everything seemed to be OK until I swapped out the E4200 backup router for the AC87U and connected it to the modem. It had difficulty provisioning, refused to set and hold the WiFi, and was very temperamental on hardwire. Eventually the E4200 backup was put back in service and the 87U pulled — again. The modem is a Cisco DPC3008 supplied by Spectrum|Charter.

Has anyone encountered incompatibility between this latest FW 382_51939 and the Cisco modems, or Spectrum|Charter's plant? The RT-AC87U replaced the the E4200 years ago and has been pretty solid for us.

Maybe this matches Quantenna symptoms?

Last edited:
Hi,

Totally screwed because of this latest update. First time I launched the update from my android mobile phone. Router fires lights but no connectivity whether wifi or cable.

This is a catastrophe if I completely loose my configuration. First time ever I had a problem with the update. Regrettably run too overconfident in the process.

Any ideas what can I try before I have to do a factory reset ?

I can't even connect to the router. No dhcp.

Thanks.

JC

Stay away of firmware 3.0.0.4.382.51939 for ASUS RT-AC87U like hell !!!! I wasted 7 hours trying to understand and fix the mess. Last working firmware for me is 3.0.0.4.382.51641

Stay away of firmware 3.0.0.4.382.51939 for ASUS RT-AC87U like hell !!!! I wasted 7 hours trying to understand and fix the mess. Last working firmware for me is 3.0.0.4.382.51641

Glad you posted! That cinches it for me.

If it's happening on other modem(s) on other ISP(s) then it's definitely the FW. I'm going back to 382.51641 and waiting for this garbage to blow over. I have never had a problem like this with the ASUS fw. What a mess.

:mad:

I have updated the 87 with thr latest firmware, 3.0.0.4.382.51939, several days ago and didn‘t encounter problems with it.
The updating took place from the firmware update option of the 87.

I always make a copy of my configuration before updating, so I don‘t worry too much if things go wrong.

It seems others are having issues with 382_51939 also. Of special interest to me was this FW update appears applied to multiple models of routers.
The full FW file in both cases is 3.0.0.4_382_51939-g3ecf3e2. I hope ASUS support is paying attention.

I have updated the 87 with thr latest firmware, 3.0.0.4.382.51939, several days ago and didn‘t encounter problems with it.
The updating took place from the firmware update option of the 87.

I always make a copy of my configuration before updating, so I don‘t worry too much if things go wrong.

That's the same way I usually do it, and like you I always keep a backup of the cfg file. Unfortunately my first time through with 382.51939 I tried something new (from the iOS app) and got smacked for it. Once that fouled I couldn't get online with the router at all. After I pulled it from service, hardwired in, and changed browsers I started encountering some of the issues others have mentioned.

Lesson learned — again — if it ain't broke, don't fix it! In this case, ud FW from the 87, not the app. :oops:

But, but, but… it would be soooo much easier if I could do it remotely from my phone! sigh

I just checked the RE-AC87U at our other site. It is still running FW 3.0.0.4.382_51640 and is rock-solid. Interestingly, it does not show a FW update as being available!

27 JAN 2020 | UPDATE | RESOLVED :)

I believe I may have found the problem with this FW update for my RT-AC87R.
  1. Ensured the router was stable over a period of time & conditions;
  2. Backed up the settings file (naturally), noting the fw version in the backup name;
  3. Downloaded a copy of the latest & greatest fw from ASUS to my desktop;
  4. Went to Administration > [ Firmware Upgrade ] clicked Browse > Upload; then
  5. the firmware update went without a hitch AND produced a reliable updated 87R.
Contrast this with trying to do it using the iOS phone app: FAIL—borked

Contrast this with trying to do it using the normal method connected to the router via LAN hardwire where the router went out to the web to fetch & install the file: FAIL— instructed to do a manual reboot

So, for me at least the answer for this fw update was to do it all locally. Interestingly, I usually do this device that way but grab the fw from my NAS. The other site I have an 87R on is all Wi-Fi, the only exception being the router-modem GB wired link. It will be interesting to see how that one (which was the one that got totally borked) responds when I directly attach a laptop via hardwire. I'm guessing it will work fine from this experience.

HTH others having firmware update issues.

— Sky

I am still bricking my RT-AC87U router again and again trying to install this software.

Have any of you guys tried Merlin ? Maybe its time to jump off the official channel. Don't like the idea of staying behind security patches.

I haven't been able to open a ticket to ASUS neither. Time to look for alternatives.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!