What's new

Resolving hostnames in Access Point mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GarySargent

Occasional Visitor
I have one RT-AX86U operating in Router Mode, and two others operating in Access Point mode to extend wireless coverage.

The Router is connected via the 2.5G LAN port to a QNAP 2.5G Switch, and then this is turn is connected to the two access points via their own 2.5G LAN.

This is working fine, except when I look at the Wireless Log (under System Log) on the Access Points, each connected device only shows a MAC address - no hostnames. Often the IP address also shows "<unknown>" or "offline". Is there any way to get the access points resolving the hostnames and/or IP addresses?

I have one RT-AX86U operating in Router Mode, and two others operating in Access Point mode to extend wireless coverage.

The Router is connected via the 2.5G LAN port to a QNAP 2.5G Switch, and then this is turn is connected to the two access points via their own 2.5G LAN.

This is working fine, except when I look at the Wireless Log (under System Log) on the Access Points, each connected device only shows a MAC address - no hostnames. Often the IP address also shows "<unknown>" or "offline". Is there any way to get the access points resolving the hostnames and/or IP addresses?
Well, since you have them connected via Ethernet the names will not show in the wireless log. The AP's should show in the DHCP log of the router unless you have static IP addresses assigned to the AP's.

Any reason you are using AP's and not AiMesh?

I tried AiMesh but it didn't work properly using the 2.5G lan in all three routers, and the 2.4ghz performance was terrible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!