What's new

Restore settings from Merlin back to original

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

js1706

New Around Here
Is it possible to restore the settings built in merlin-fw at a router with original-fw?

I need to try AiMesh and this is not supported by our beloved Merlin firmware.
I'm working with two AC68u

Yes it is possible to go back to the original Asus firmware. Just flash the new firmware through the GUI just like any other. I don't think there's any special procedure if you're currently using the latest firmware versions. Just remember to do a factory reset afterwards.

Yes it is possible to go back to the original Asus firmware. Just flash the new firmware through the GUI just like any other. I don't think there's any special procedure if you're currently using the latest firmware versions. Just remember to do a factory reset afterwards.

thx for your reply, how about the settings ? after the factory reset.

Is it possible to restore the settings after factory reset ? (But the settings were made in Merlin)
If you mean reload a "Save setting" file you created when running Merlin's firmware into the newly loaded Asus firmware, then no you mustn't do that. That would defeat the entire purpose of doing the factory reset in the first place. If at a later date you reloaded the same Merlin firmware you had when you made the backup, then you could reload the matching settings file.

In short, the "Save setting" file is unique to each firmware version and not transferable to other versions. You can usually get away with loading an old settings file if you're only moving between minor version changes, but if it's a big change (like going from Merlin to Asus) then you really need to do a factory reset and manually setup the router again.

If you mean reload a "Save setting" file you created when running Merlin's firmware into the newly loaded Asus firmware, then no you mustn't do that. That would defeat the entire purpose of doing the factory reset in the first place. If at a later date you reloaded the same Merlin firmware you had when you made the backup, then you could reload the matching settings file.

In short, the "Save setting" file is unique to each firmware version and not transferable to other versions. You can usually get away with loading an old settings file if you're only moving between minor version changes, but if it's a big change (like going from Merlin to Asus) then you really need to do a factory reset and manually setup the router again.

Exactly that's what wanted to know ! Thanks Colin
When I do the *big bang* I setup manually.

(From the testing perspective I wanted to check the fastest way...)

Please do come back on this thread and let us know. I would also know how you get on with AIMesh but I put more value on Merlin. Hopefully he is given access to AIMesh I’m the future but I doubt it as it’s proprietary.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!