What's new

Restrict Hardwired LAN Port to Internet Only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JCima

New Around Here
Router: RT-AX92U:

I have an IOT device that I want to restrict to internet only. Very much like my hidden guest network that I have setup for my wireless IOT devices (with the Access Intranet = false). I expect there is a way I could do this via Firewall Rules or maybe by adding a Static Route. Anyone have an easy way to accomplish this?

I don't know what is possible on AX92U. I know you can use a router in bridge mode and connect it to your guest network. You'll get LAN ports restricted to what guest network is restricted to. Not the cheapest, but pretty easy way. Should work with any main router. BTW, hidden network doesn't help much security wise.

Thanks for the input. Your solution would definitely work, but I'm not dedicated enough to this to put in more hardware. I'm hoping for a software (on router) solution, otherwise I'll let it be.

Possible with custom firmware (asuswrt-merlin, tomato, dd-wrt) and VLAN tagging. Not possible on official ASUSWRT, as far as I know.

JCima, You might have a look at the output of ebtables -L to give you an idea how it's getting done with your router and firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!