What's new

Results with brand new Motorola MM1000 MoCA 2.0 setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LimuEmu

New Around Here
I am doing a pretty basic setup for testing here. Gigabit comes into the house via DOCSIS 3.0. I currently have both motorola adapters running directly to each other to my GigE switch using an RG6 cable that is about 6ft long. Doing a speedtest I get around 10Mbit down and 30Mbit up. The upload is correct, for DOCSIS 3.0 anyway. The download is completely incorrect. The latency also increases. about 50-80ms going through the MoCA adapters, direct ethernet to switch is about 5ms over internet. Wifi is also about 5-6ms.

If I run iperf using 10 parallel threads I can get about 940Mbit over the LAN. While running iperf AND running a speedtest my speedtest actually increases (???) it seems like these run in some sort of low-power state unless a significant amount of bandwidth is being pushed. I can connect the machine to WiFi and speedtests work fine, about 500Mbit over 802.11AC which is to be expected here.

PHY rate is negotiating at about 640Mbit which, when bonded, would make sense why I can almost to 1Gbit.

Based on reading a ton of reviews it seemed like MoCA was the future and PowerLine adapters were not. I would prefer not to go back to PowerLine but even when operating on separate phases it was still faster and produced less latency than this.

Honestly, a single stream about 500Mbit would be perfectly fine for my purposes but I can't even get that without forcing a ton of traffic across these.

I have connected both and done a factory reset with no increase.

It's possible I received two crap devices but based on other threads on here it seems I am not so different in seeing better upload speeds than download speeds and it looks like they are all utilizing similar chipsets from BCM. I can go to a local store and pick up some Actiontec's to test but I don't expect too much difference here.

Any suggestions or ideas?

EDIT: For the heck of it going to the store to pick up the Actiontec's to do a bit more testing. Will report back later. Will still appreciate any responses until then. Thank you.

UPDATE:

Purchased two Actiontec Bonded 2.0 adapters and it was plug and play. Getting over 700Mbit on speedtests now.

UPDATE 2:

Mixed Actiontec and Motorola and get full speed. Both Motorola's will not get full speed, but one of each will. It seems to be some sort of firmware issue with both Motorola's.

Flashed the latest Actiontec firmware on one Motorola (since it's the same chipset), rebooted and working with both Motorola's, one on Actiontec, one on Motorola, at full speed. Decided to flash both. Seems the same either way, full speed.

I forgot to notate but the Motorola's were both running the latest available from Motorola.

The firmware used was from this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n0yJTezq-XJBFBGOBFFnhP4SoQ7owwCi/view

Last edited:
Great post. I have been debating between powerline and MOCA for a while now. Did the latency you first reported of 50-80ms improve after the firmware updated to the Motorola adapters?

I get disappointing iperf results with my two MM1000 adapters but the real-world experience is much better than powerline or even a 3x3:3 wireless bridge.

Great post. I have been debating between powerline and MOCA for a while now. Did the latency you first reported of 50-80ms improve after the firmware updated to the Motorola adapters?

After swapping to the Actiontec firmware it operates as expected. Nearly equivalent to Ethernet with latency being within 1-2ms.

MM-1000 adapters are fine here. Latency goes from about 6ms. for wired connection at gateway eero to about 11ms. with a wireless connection at a remote node. Speed is full ISP speed for wireless at all nodes. My ISP gives me 100/100 nominal, provisioned at about 123/125. Very consistent, I really like fiber, and works well with MoCA. No complaints. I have no need for 1Gbps, even though it is available to me at a higher price.

Powerline networking here is pretty dismal. Probably not great wiring, but the speed drops more dramatically as you move onto different circuits than it should according to test results I've seen. MoCA is much better, full speed as I said. I do use powerline between the eero gateway node and the solar panel monitor box in the garage, but that's a fairly small amount of data and the transfer speed just doesn't matter.