What's new

RFC 4638 (MTU 1508) possible on (stock) RT-AX88U or RT-AX92U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bpwats

New Around Here
Hello,
I enjoy a gigabit fiber connection up to a theoretical speed of 977 mbit/sec. Currently, I have MSS clamping enabled (MTU and MRU are set tot 1448), because the stock firmware GUI will not allow me to set MTU / MRU values above 1492. This will give me up to about 928 mbit/sec download speeds.

Asus-WAN1.png

My provider Freedom Internet (Netherlands) supports RFC 4638 (MTU 1508) for sure. If possible, it is recommended by their tech support to use RFC 4638. They tell me to: switch on jumbo frames, use MTU 1500 on LAN, use 1508 on raw WAN interface. This would enable a PPoE tunnel of 1500 and eliminate the need for MSS Clamping.

Is this scenario possible on the RT-AX92U (or RT-AX88U)? If it would mean to switch to Merlin or use SSH into the Asus router, this would not be an issue for me. How much would the speed benefit be?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!