What's new

Ridiculous ping spikes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marpx

New Around Here
upload_2018-8-8_0-7-57.png

im getting ridiculous ping spikes where games are just unplayable i cant even move in most games. I have the asus pce ac68 on the newest drivers and its gotten to the point where i cant play any game. Ive noticed its only on games too everything else is fine. (thats a ping test from a site)

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_0-4-39.png
    upload_2018-8-8_0-4-39.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 329
You need to ping your router and your local ISP next hop to determine if this is something on your end, your ISP, or the bigger Internet as a whole. There are way too many variables to troubleshoot with the limited info provided.

Ping
in command mode in windows (cmd) ping your router
192.168.1.1 -t to see if the problem is between your pc and router

You need to ping your router and your local ISP next hop to determine if this is something on your end, your ISP, or the bigger Internet as a whole. There are way too many variables to troubleshoot with the limited info provided.

my card doesnt even show wifi networks anymore im guessing it died im thinking about switching to ethernet but i wouldnt be able to run the cable across my house

We are not alone. Not talking about visitors from outer space but the internet. Assuming you only have one device on your at home network, that device can use all the bandwidth available on your home network and your ISP connection. Beyond that ISP connection your device sharing bandwidth with others.

In troubleshooting your issue, the first step is to make sure all the other devices on your home network are turned off. If you still have the issue, ping your router (as previously stated). Next ping your next hop to your ISP (as previously stated). With no ping issues at this point then any ping issue with devices beyond that point could be related to your ISP's network, the internet, the ISP for the end point your trying to ping, or the end point itself.

Another variable is that end points can be set up to only honor the first three ping and then block. Or they could treat pings as a low priority to respond to ensure real data traffic gets through. My forty years of troubleshooting data networks will tell you to troubleshoot the issue at hand, not a ping. Ping is nothing more than a tool to use that may or may not identify the cause of an issue.

The most common cause of poor internet gaming performance is the game website. The second most cause is some path in your internet connection, usually your ISP, realizing that a data pack is for a game will assign it a low priority or just discard if the path becomes busy. Yes, all the internet connections can recognize your game data packets. The third most common cause is the home network itself or even others in your neighborhood; other devices phoning home or too many people using high bandwidth apps, i.e. watching streaming video.